Talk

Advanced search

Need an amazeballs desert for a dinner party please

(14 Posts)
sweetheart Mon 03-Feb-14 11:18:32

Cooking for friends this weekend and I can't think of a desert to do - does anyone have any brilliant gems up their sleeves? I'm not a very good baker if I'm honest.....
Other food will be scallops and then lamb so something to complement this would be fab.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 03-Feb-14 12:28:28

Tarte Tatin? You can use ready-rolled pastry.

Hanginggardenofboobylon Mon 03-Feb-14 12:33:40

Crème Brulee
Individual chocolate mousses

Both good make in advance options and always look impressive when dressed up with fruit/icing sugar

I like to make pine nut and frangipane tart by Georgio Locatelli uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511687 as its a bit different

A lemon tart is always a good option too

The Green and Blacks chocolate cook book is full of amazing desserts

spilttheteaagain Mon 03-Feb-14 16:44:24

Not dessert as such, but homemade truffles are a gorgeous end to a meal with some nice coffee. You can make them the day before so no faff on the day.

Poached pears in red wine? Quite light really but absolutely beautiful.

Onykahonie Mon 03-Feb-14 17:33:13

The Hairy Bikers' Mississippi Mud Pie is amazing and easy enough for my 12 dd to make!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 03-Feb-14 19:23:38

Eton mess is quick and simple.

Home made profiteroles?

joanofarchitrave Mon 03-Feb-14 19:26:44

Zabaglione? Piss easy and very light, though it needs doing at the time so that's a downside. Poss a bit retro, though i love it because I am retro or in fact old

HowGoodIsThat Mon 03-Feb-14 19:27:24

This is divine and easily made in advance. Or try Nigella's Lemon Meringue Cake which was very well received at Burns recently.

SilverLining Mon 03-Feb-14 19:27:27

James Martin white chocolate croissant pudding - it's meant to have whiskey but I use amaretto - it's incredible! I make it for everyone & have converted so many people (and it's v v easy!) - shout if you want the recipe!

Frigintinsella Mon 03-Feb-14 19:39:53

A frend of mine does an amazing desert, no baking involved!
Crushed up brownie base, layer of chocolate custard, layer of whipped cream and grated flake on top!
I love to bake but its definitely in my desert to do list.

sweetheart Tue 04-Feb-14 15:17:54

ohhh yummm so many of these sound delicious! I'm apparently not doing desert now but will deffo be trying some of these out at home. Silver - please could I have the white choc pudding recipe - it sounds right up my street!

SilverLining Wed 12-Feb-14 21:33:27

Sorry sweetheart - just seen this! Will dig out a link....

SilverLining Wed 12-Feb-14 21:35:56

Here you go - I adapt it slightly and don't put as many egg yolks in & use amaretto rather than whiskey but the basic recipe is easy to fiddle with! It's a fail safe - freezes well too & such an indulgent treat to defrost when home alone.....!!!!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/whitechocolatewhisky_86302

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now