Talk

Advanced search

Yorkshire pudding day

(12 Posts)
Gemizzel Thu 30-Jan-14 11:30:29

Hi Everyone
I am having people round on sunday for Yorkshire Pudding Day smile
I was going to do normal yorkshires with gravy, mini toad in the hole, mini yp with beef and horseradish, plain beef ones.. maybe some filled with a bit of casserole..

Is there anything else I could do... they are going to be more like YP Canapes really.

Thanks

MikeWazowski Thu 30-Jan-14 11:37:40

Oooh, can I come please? Smoked mackerel or trout with horseradish and creme fraiche is yummy

madamecake Thu 30-Jan-14 11:48:03

What about desserts? You could fill with sliced bananas and caramel sauce, strawberries and chocolate sauce, or mix fruit and a bit of sugar into the batter and serve with cream.

Gemizzel Sun 02-Feb-14 12:42:52

I'm using the following recipe for my yorkshires
7oz flour
4 eggs
Milk to get the desired consistency so around 250ml

If I wanted to make them sweet using the above amounts.. How much sugar should I add?
Never done sweet ones before

redrubyindigo Tue 04-Feb-14 19:25:55

A huge bowl of soup with Yorkshire's being dunked instead of bread.

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 04-Feb-14 19:29:31

You'll need more milk: about a pint.

I love Yorkshire puddings filled with mince and gravy but I don't think that's posh enough

redrubyindigo Tue 04-Feb-14 19:39:47

A scoop of ice cream and drizzled with maple syrup?

MirandaGoshawk Tue 04-Feb-14 19:45:00

4 eggs??? Why? I would use half pint of milk, one egg (or possibly two) and 8oz plain flour, pinch of salt. Best dish to use is stoneware.

I made the best Yorkshires ever on Sunday. The secret is to add a glug of veg oil so you get crispy as well as soft inside.

But you asked for variety - I have added a) mustard and b) sage & onion stuffing mix to the batter before, both nice.

For savoury, use ordinary batter & add golden syrup or warmed jam as a sauce.

Hulababy Tue 04-Feb-14 19:45:55

I always use James Martin's YP recipe. Never failed me yet - soft on the inside, crisp on the out - and huge. His recipe does use a lot of eggs though - and makes absolutely tons of puddings!

iirr
8 eggs
8 oz flour
pink milk

Must make mix in advance, get lots of air into it - and then leave it to settle for an hour or two.
Don't open the door for at least the first 20-30 min of cooking, and then only a tiny bit to release some of the built up steam or moisture.

Sweet YP would be good.

Hulababy Tue 04-Feb-14 19:47:54

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/yorkshirepudding_81824

Seriously - I have tried various recipes over the years to see what they've come out like. The JM recipe has been by far the best - and the most consistent at always comign out fantastic.

tb Fri 07-Feb-14 09:13:17

I've always used a standard pancake batter

ie 4oz flour, 1 egg and 1/2 pt milk, or 120g flour, 1 egg and ~300g milk

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 07-Feb-14 12:18:14

Tb that imperial recipe needs two eggs for that much milk and flour. I use the same recipe for pancakes and Yorkshire puddings from Delia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now