Talk

Advanced search

You must make this soup-heavenly

(16 Posts)
siblingrevelry Fri 24-Jan-14 10:51:14

Chunky butternut mulligatawny-it's in the latest edition of BBC Good Food (but not yet available online), but it's so gorgeous I'm going to type it out for anyone interested:

2 onions, finely chopped
2 celery, finely chopped
2 eating apples, peeled & finely chopped
1/2 small butternut, peeled and chopped into small pieces
2-3 heaped teaspoons curry powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cans toms
1.5 litres veg stock
140g basmati rice

Add oil to a large pan, slowly soften the onions/celery/apples for 10 mins. Add squash & spices, cook for 2 mins then add toms & stock. Cook for 15 mins, then add rice. Stir and cook for further 12 mins until veggies and rice cooked.
Season as required.

Enjoy (disclaimer: there are a couple if extra garnish ingredients, such as parsley and mango chutney, which I haven't used!)

lilolilmanchester Fri 24-Jan-14 13:36:53

Love the sound of that, thanks for posting

WowOoo Fri 24-Jan-14 13:40:00

That does sound nice. Thanks!
A nice spicy soup like that is perfect for this freezing weather.

RonaldMcDonald Fri 24-Jan-14 13:47:38

yum, will do thanks

madamecake Fri 24-Jan-14 15:38:49

Thanks for this, have some butternut squash in the freezer so will be making it this weekend.

TimeToPassGo Mon 27-Jan-14 11:43:26

Sounds delicious thanks for the recipe! smile

NUFC69 Tue 28-Jan-14 10:06:46

Mine is in the slow cooker as I type. Should be lovely for lunch. I just did half quantities. Thanks for posting.

jennimoo Tue 28-Jan-14 12:07:42

I've just made this, really yummy. Thanks for the tip.

JamNan Tue 28-Jan-14 12:19:15

Ooh I have got a butternut squash in the kitchen and some leftover celery from last night's stock. I'll make it in the SC for tomorrow.

Thank you

NUFC69 Tue 28-Jan-14 13:19:18

We haven't actually eaten it, but tasted it and it's lovely. Slow cooks beautifully. Went on medium just after nine and is definitely ready to eat now. I did fry up the veg first re the recipe.

Gatekeeper Fri 31-Jan-14 06:45:29

we are big soup fans in this house so made it yesterday...

we didn't like it sad and left it after a couple of mouthfuls. I felt it was 'thin' tasting (apart from the curry powder) without any real depth to the flavour. I also think that there was far too much rice as it ended up over bulky

Dissapointed

Joules68 Fri 31-Jan-14 08:43:06

Will it be ok without the rice?

Sounds great though

Seminyak Fri 31-Jan-14 11:36:44

Deffo going to make this, I have a butternut to shift!! Thanks for sharing.

ShoeSmacking Sat 01-Feb-14 07:53:46

I have a similar butternut soup recipe but the ratio of Apple to butternut sounds wrong here. I would use a large butternut. And possibly leave out some or all of the tomato. But Apple, butternut and spices are broadly a fabulous combination!

ratqueen Sat 08-Feb-14 20:24:16

Thanks for sharing. I am going to make this tomorrow!

Slainte Sat 08-Feb-14 20:37:14

Sounds lovely, can it be frozen? TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now