Talk

Advanced search

Cheese, cheese, yummy, yummy cheese. Lets have your best cheese recipes thread

(14 Posts)
Laska42 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:19:21

Dear Marge ..Am I normal ? You see I just cant stop fantasising about cheese ..grin

How do you like yours ?
What type is best ?
Got any stunning cheese recipes to share ?

Please cheese me..

Laska42 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:29:13

ill start with..

Caramelised fennel and blue cheese tart

2 fennel bulbs, sliced
3 onions, sliced
1 tsp fennel seeds ground to release their flavour
2 cloves garlic crushed
about 6 small waxy salad or new potatoes, cooked and cooled
200 0g blue cheese, crumbled
1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
3 eggs, lightly beaten
120ml single or double cream
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and fresh black pepper

1 Fry the fennel and onion in olive oil over a low heat until golden and caramelised – In the last minutes add the fennel seeds and crushed garlic .

2 Meanwhile, slice potatoes to 1cm thick

3 Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Line a large, lightly greased tart tin with pastry, pierce lightly with a fork and trim the edges. Line with baking paper, and blind bake for 15 minutes.

4 Carefully remove the paper a return the tart shell to the oven for 5 more minutes and set aside to cool.

5 Fill the tart shell with the potatoes followed by the blue cheese. Top with the onion and fennel mixture.

6 Combine the eggs, cream, parsley plus salt and pepper, and whisk. Pour over the tart and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the centre.

mrspremise Mon 27-Jan-14 12:54:37

Cheese Strata (serves 4)

6 slices bread (I think granary works best)
butter
mustard
100g strong cheddar cheese, finely grated

Spread the bread with butter and a little mustard. Use 75g of the cheese to make sandwiches. Cut off the crusts and slice the sandwiches in half diagonally. Arrange the sandwiches in an ovenproof dish with the points pointing (ha!) upwards. You may need to cut one of the halves.

200ml milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp parsley, chopped

Beat these together with a little black pepper. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches in the dish, making sure you soak all the protruding parts. Scatter over the remaining 25g of grated cheese, then bake at 200°c for 25 minutes. Allow to cool a little before serving. I like salad and coleslaw with it, DH and the DC prefer baked beans.

mimolette Tue 28-Jan-14 21:44:29

Fondue. Raclette. (Have special implements for both.) Tartiflette.
Or simply stick a camembert in the oven until it melts in the middle, serve with bread/veg for dipping (and side salad to pretend it's a balanced meal).

mimolette Tue 28-Jan-14 21:46:52

Ooh, and I am totally going to try the strata, it sounds awesome. Diet be damned.

K999 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:51:13

Cheese Dreams

Make cheese sandwiches
Whisk eggs in large bowl
Dip sandwiches in (covering both sides)
Fry

Bit like eggy bread but with melted cheese....takes 5 mins to make. I like mine with lovely fresh juicy tomatoes....

Result - delicious!!! Prob not that healthy though! grin

TyneTeas Wed 29-Jan-14 21:34:54

simple but tasty mozarella and/or feta basil and tomato salad - yum!

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/feta-mozzarella-basil-and-tomato-salad.html

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Fri 31-Jan-14 21:50:43

We just have a massive platter of cheese, biscuits, chutney and carrot and apple sticks.

It is our favourite treat meal and doesn't even require cooking!

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sat 01-Feb-14 09:29:09

Mmmm, that cheese strata sounds fab.

Now what do I have in my cupboards/fridge....

Hmmm, let me see...eggs, check, milk, check, mustard, check........

Smugfearnleyshittingstool Sun 02-Feb-14 22:02:36

The pampered chef chilli and pecan baked Camembert is to die for ! So quick and easy. Fab with a part baked baguette, recipe easily found on Google

Laska42 Thu 13-Aug-15 22:17:08

grin I'm reactivating this Zombie thread (that I dont even remember starting over a year ago!!) because I'm having another Cheese moment!

I am in love with cheese ..

Any more recipes please?. The cheesier the better ..

mrspremise Sat 15-Aug-15 10:55:44

Fluffy Cheese Pie

Preheat the oven to 200°c and put a large baking sheet on the shelf to heat up.

400g plain flour
150g butter
25g lard

Rub the fat into the flour (add a pinch of salt if you're not cooking for tinies). Add a little water and knead lightly together to make pastry. Roll out the pastry quite thinly, line your(lightly oiled) pie tin and trim off the excess. Roll out the remaining pastry for the top and set it aside while you make the filling.

50g butter
75g cheddar cheese, finely grated
2 large eggs
a pinch each of plain flour and mustard powder
freshly ground black pepper (+ salt if you like)
milk

Melt the butter, over a low heat, in a largeish saucepan. Beat the eggs, cheese, flour and mustard powder together, then grind in some pepper to taste. Pour this into the melted butter and cook gently, whisking all the time until the mixture thickens, which will take just a few minutes. Pour this into the pie case and quickly top with the other piece of pastry. Squidge the edges together with a fork and brush the top of the pie with a little milk, then put the pie tin on the pre-heated baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes until the pie is cooked through and the top crust is golden brown.

ShuShuFontana Sat 15-Aug-15 11:03:11

Cheesy Leeks...extravagant side dish or light supper
Quantity...to suit the dish you have to fill!

slice leeks, sauté lightly in butter, season well with S&P and a suspicion of nutmeg
...you are not cooking the leeks here, just setting them on the way

tip into an oven proof dish, pour over double cream so it looks like the leeks are comfortable, but not drowning
Smother the dish with grated cheese, and put it into a hot oven, it wants about 25-40 minutes depending on how deep the dish is and how toasty you like your cheese

to turn it into a supper style dish add some ham/bacon before you add the cream
I sometimes sprinkle thyme leaves in with the cheese, and sometime use mozzarella

DustWitch Sat 15-Aug-15 11:14:00

I'm a cheese fiend too! I love a paneer curry, like this one:

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetarian_curry_with_66421

You can make paneer at home as well using full fat milk and lemon juice, although it is a bit of a faff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now