Talk

Advanced search

Good cheapish blender for soup

(16 Posts)
firesidechat Thu 09-Jan-14 13:41:23

I've just made a vat of soup which needed to be blended and disaster struck. Well not quite disaster, but it was annoying. I couldn't find my hand blender any where, so have spent half an hour blending tiny portions in my very tiny food chopper.

The soup I made was lovely though and I would like to do more. Can anyone recommend a blender for soup that works and won't break the bank?

Artandco Thu 09-Jan-14 13:43:54

I just use a hand blender. £5-10 most places. Just blend in saucepan

wonkylegs Thu 09-Jan-14 13:44:29

I have this one which I bought for doing purees when DS was a baby - he's now 5.5 and its still going strong.
Made a huge vat of carrot soup with it at DSs request (hmm) last weekend.

firesidechat Thu 09-Jan-14 13:59:22

So you both think the hand blenders are up to the job? It was one like that that I've lost, but at least they aren't expensive to replace. I just know that I will find the old one as soon as a buy a replacement, but hey ho.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 09-Jan-14 14:01:47

I have a hand blender I bought years ago in Sainsbos for about £10. I blend in saucepan too.

Artandco Thu 09-Jan-14 14:02:39

It seems best for us. We have a smoothie maker machine thing we could use but it makes such a mess and so much to clean in comparison. Same texture with basic hand held
One

firesidechat Thu 09-Jan-14 14:06:48

Thanks everyone.

It was the mess rather than the time spent that made me post this. The chopper did the job, but oh my poor kitchen!

wonkylegs Thu 09-Jan-14 14:12:54

I do mine in the saucepan and as long as you get the angle alright its not messy at all. I wouldn't let DS/ DH have a go but me carefully and its fine.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 09-Jan-14 14:35:13

No mess with a hand held, as long as there's enough soup to cover the blades.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 09-Jan-14 14:48:22

Hand blender works like a charm plus there's no messy goblet-washing or transferring of boiling hot soup to deal with. Mine's a Braun.

tshirtsuntan Thu 09-Jan-14 14:51:00

I always use my hand blender too, less faff!

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 09-Jan-14 14:51:07

I'd prefer a hand held too, as you can blend whilst hot.

Usually they recommend cooling a soup, ladling it into a blender and then reheating it. A lot of mess regardless of the blender size and more time needed.

I turn off the cooker top, blend and then reheat it back to simmering quickly.

firesidechat Thu 09-Jan-14 15:01:53

Ok hand blender it is.

Redpriestandmozart Thu 09-Jan-14 21:49:45

I make loads of soup, at least 3 massive pressure cooker pots a week and would not be without my Kenwood hand blender, it comes with a bigfoot for soup. Definitely better than using a blender as the hot soup will spray out the top, sadly speaking from experience smile

firesidechat Fri 10-Jan-14 09:20:05

Oh I like the idea of a foot for soup. I will have a look online later.

user1482338830 Wed 21-Dec-16 19:47:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now