Talk

Advanced search

How much alcohol should I buy for a cocktail party - 12 people coming

(9 Posts)
lostinindia Wed 18-Dec-13 22:22:35

Hi, As I've said in my title I've got 12 people coming to our house on NYE. I've asked people to bring booze (we'll have a stash as well) and I'll be making cocktails;
Tequila Sunrise, Mojito and a strawberry daiquiri. That keeps the spirits down to tequila and white rum. How many bottles should I buy? We all have young kids so I doubt everyone is going to go mad like we used to as we have 7am starts the next day.

I'm serving a thali at some point so I imagine people will want to drink lager at that point. At the moment I've only got one 1litre bottle of tequila and one 1litre bottle of rum. How much more should I buy?
Thanks.

lostinindia Mon 23-Dec-13 17:10:08

Anyone?

Snakeoil Mon 23-Dec-13 17:29:06

Honestly, I would buy more. I had an afternoon drinks party yesterday and ran out of bubbly--very embarrassing. Spirits won't go bad if they are opened but not used.

Oblomov Mon 23-Dec-13 17:32:51

Please tell me you are kidding.
1 litre? Please get done more.

lostinindia Mon 23-Dec-13 19:06:47

No not kidding (!!) as I'm expecting most people to be drinking beer and lager. I guess calling it a cocktail party was misleading.

I have 3 litres of bacardi and 1 litre of dark rum. Also 75cl of vodka. If you're going on single measures for the cocktails that's 138 cocktails. That's 11 cocktails each.

Surely that's enough?? Bearing in mind people will have children under 5 with them and will have to get them home, I'm not expecting people to get totally legless.

We've also got a supply of beer, lager and cider - about 80 cans in total. We've asked that people bring their usual alcohol.

How much bubbly would you get? We were only planning pouring some for a toast at midnight in small babycham glasses. Got a couple of really nice bottles but may get another - do you reckon 3 will be enough for a toast?

Last time we had a NYE party was pre children and very slap dash - didn't provide any booze and people just threw brought their own - much simpler times!

Thanks for the help!!

lostinindia Mon 23-Dec-13 19:09:50

Panic is setting in now!! Already spent about £200 on booze. This is going to get very expensive isnt it!

Snakeoil Mon 23-Dec-13 19:17:22

You will get 6 modest 125ml glasses out of one bottle of fizz. So 18 glasses for a toast if you measure carefully! Champagne glasses typically don't hold much, but if you are using wine glasses there's a risk of over-pouring.

lostinindia Mon 23-Dec-13 20:09:01

Thanks snake. My champagne glasses only hold 100mls so that's given me a better idea of how much to buy.

lostinindia Thu 13-Feb-14 22:53:09

Hi, I meant to update this post last month but kept forgetting. The party was lovely. Everyone really chilled & it was lovely to have the small children there. Not much alcohol was consumed. We have bottles of bacardi untouched as well as soft drinks. In the end we got through 1/2 bottle tequila, 1/4 contreau, 1/4 vodka, 1/4 bacardi. Only one bottle of champagne was drunk. Cocktails were great but I stuck to measures so that we weren't all on our backs by 10pm. I was amazed no more got drunk. People brought their own booze and non of our lager or beer was touched. We've still got heaps left over and are well stocked for future parties. Thanks again for the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now