I want something EXTREMLEY CHEAP and quick to do

For about 30 - 50 people

I don't want to spend much time or money on it though

NomDePlume Sun 25-Jun-06 19:52:46

crudites and dips ?

CountessDracula Sun 25-Jun-06 19:54:03

what is your budget?

bramblina Sun 25-Jun-06 19:54:43

Tesco mini breadsticks. Cute and cheap. Buy cheap dips from Lidl and put them in nice ramekins or similar.
Vol au vents. Bake them night before so they're done, make a simple white sauce, throw in some chicken or mushrooms.
Crakers and cheese.

RTKangaMummy Sun 25-Jun-06 19:54:49

dips did cross my mind

SO do you mean with cuccumber, cauliflower, carrots bereadsticks etc?

robinpud Sun 25-Jun-06 19:56:18

Other than pitta bread slices and dips- grapes on cocktail sticks 1 red 2 green on each stick. I presume you are only contributing not doing the whole thing? A friend of mine always does water melon- that goes a long way but is effortless.

RTKangaMummy Sun 25-Jun-06 19:56:22

I am supposed to be providing for a finger buffet that I am not actually going to or where I know anyone really

so as cheap as possible really.

kolakube Sun 25-Jun-06 19:57:23

Any supermarket freezer cabinet will have lots of party type nibbles. All you do is put them in the oven.

RTKangaMummy Sun 25-Jun-06 19:57:57

I always do watermelon for DS parties

But then I cut into chunks with the skin still on

But this is for adults

Do you know how I could do watermelon in a dainty way iyswim

RTKangaMummy Sun 25-Jun-06 20:04:25

DEFFO BRILL ideas

Thanks

Will chat with DH when he comes home

I know it sounds really mean but as they are nearly all strangers I don't feel bothered to make a huge effort

Will prob go with dips stuff

I love the grapes idea will do that for my 40th in couple of weeks

We always have CHEESE AND PINEAPPLE ON STICKS

Yes I know it s very 1970s but in our house we love them

and everytime we do them for parties they get eaten really fast

So we are doing a revivial of 1970s party food for our entertainment.

TwoIfBySea Sun 25-Jun-06 21:54:07

Please don't sue me if I get this completely wrong but I am sure I once saw a recipe where you pour vodka or something into a watermelon over a few days. As I don't drink I didn't pay much attention to it. Maybe it isn't that kind of buffet though!

Ha, just remembered, it is a Jamie Oliver one. Here it is cut and pasted.

<<This is a really funny thing I saw an American friend of mine make. Great for a barbie or party. Wish I’d known about this when I was going to school parties–I could have walked in with my watermelon and got all my mates completely sloshed! Needs to be started a few days–even a week–before you can plan to eat it.

1 large, ripe watermelon--give it a smell and slap to check for ripeness
1 bottle best quality vodka (or even champagne)

Simply cut a hole in the top of the melon, wide and deep enough to insert a funnel. Pour some of your chosen alcohol into the melon through the funnel, leave to sit for a day and pour in some more. The flesh will absorb the liquid, so pour in some more the next day--basically until it becomes saturated. When ready to serve, slice up into nice big pieces and get all your mates plastered on it!>>

FrannyandZooey Sun 25-Jun-06 21:59:20

LOL I saw this, assumed it was a finger food for weaning toddlers thread and then was outraged to see TIBS' vodka and watermelon suggestion

I will read the OP first next time

shazronnie Sun 25-Jun-06 22:03:35

On telly once I saw a chef injecting vodka into cherry tomatoes for a bloody mary type snack!

Never tried it myself but I do fancy that watermelon!

CountessDracula Mon 26-Jun-06 09:25:16

i tried that and the tomatoes burst

Got funny looks in the chemist asking for a syringe.

anorak Mon 26-Jun-06 09:29:49

Buy 4-5 loaves of sliced white and brown bread.

Spread with filling.

Cut off crusts.

Cut into fingers, small squares, triangles - a different shape for each filling.

Fillings:

Blue cheese pate - blend equal quantities blue cheese and butter, spread while soft, no need to butter bread.

Ham.

Smoked salmon.

Pile them up in huge pyramids on plates or platters.

There is never a crumb left when you make this.

TwoIfBySea Mon 26-Jun-06 22:53:04

Haha Franny, my dts are only 4 1/2, way to young for vodka, they've only just gotten used to the whisky.

JOKE!!!

Californifrau Mon 26-Jun-06 23:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

collision Mon 26-Jun-06 23:06:15

My fave is the one that Joey recommended from Friends.

Peanut Butter Fingers.

All you need is a jar of peanut butter and your hand!!!!!

shimmy21 Mon 26-Jun-06 23:14:30

make your own dip /dips
feta cheese and plain yoghurt mushed up tgether plus a very small amount of pressed garlic

or smoked mackeral and a tub of quark blitzed in the food processor

or a whole aubergine grilled, flamed or baked so skin is burnt. Peel off skin and blitz up inside with some plain yog and a clove of pressed garlic

serve with raw veg sticks

RTKangaMummy Wed 28-Jun-06 17:52:53

I thought I would let you know what I did

In the end I cheated completely and got 2 stuffed ciabattas and cut them up into small bite sized pieces

I found out I didn't actually have to provide for 50 but a contribution iyswim

Soooooooo I will use your ideas for my party next week

Thank you

dliv1987 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:44:25

I was looking for inexpensive finger food ideas, when I came across this. Even if it's an old thread, I can't hold back from commenting, so here it goes.

I wonder why you even took this commitment, since you were so uninterested in doing it. When you contribute with food to any event, it can either be expensive, or be cheap but good (read: homemade, where you put some time into it). A cut-up store-bought ciabatta bread would definitely fall under neither category. The only thing that you achieved is to make sure everyone knows what a cheap person you are.

Kiroro Thu 02-Feb-17 12:53:27

Go to iceland. Buy the 50 piece indian snack selection. Bake. Take.

Kiroro Thu 02-Feb-17 12:53:58

Sorry, 100 pieces.

PurpleDaisies Thu 02-Feb-17 12:54:52

Why on earth do you think the op still gives a damn dliv? How did you even find this?

ZOMBIE THREAD

Kiroro Thu 02-Feb-17 12:54:55

The only thing that you achieved is to make sure everyone knows what a cheap person you are.

Wow. Nasty for no reason. What is wrong with ciabatta?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now