Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

parents have brought back a big bag of sun-dried tomatoes from italy

(11 Posts)
WestmorlandSausage Sun 01-Sep-13 20:22:46

...and given them to me

I do a lot of cooking from scratch but nothing that has ever really called for sun-dried tomatoes other than bread. Can't really think what to do with them, I tend to use fresh or sun-blush tomatoes when cooking.

Any suggestions?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 01-Sep-13 20:40:56

My friend stuffs chicken breasts with them...she adds some kind of soft cheese too. Very nice!

WilsonFrickett Sun 01-Sep-13 22:01:09

I don't really like them either, but could you make a flavoured oil with some?

WilsonFrickett Sun 01-Sep-13 22:02:02

Oops, pressed too soon: actually if you can be bothered, I'd get some decent olive oil and bottles, add the tomatoes and pass them off as Christmas presents!

fedupofpoo Sun 01-Sep-13 22:05:04

add them to pasta sauce
serve them as antipasti(starter) with nice bread
wilson i like ur thinking :-)

Ineedanewone Sun 01-Sep-13 22:06:14

They are very nice in rice and chicken type risotto dishes,
You could put them in a jar and pour over ordinary olive oil, add a sliced garlic clove and leave for a few weeks to plump up and then chop up and add to any pasta sauce or eat with bread, ham and cheese or put in a salad.

JamNan Sun 01-Sep-13 22:47:54

Lucky you
We love this recipe from Jamie Oliver prawns rocket and sundried toms with spag

MousyMouse Sun 01-Sep-13 22:52:14

I like to snip a handfull into rice
(1 cup rice, 2 cups water, tomatoes, salt, bring to boil, take off heat and leave for 15-20 min until all water is absorbed)

or blitz some with oil and basil for red pesto.
snip some onto a pizza as topping.
or cover them witha little hot water so they soften up then add olive oil and herbs and use as sanwich topper.

WestmorlandSausage Sun 01-Sep-13 23:12:09

oooh the pesto suggestion is up my street and something I hadn't thought of.

I'm not a massive fan of the taste of sun dried tomatoes in their whole state usually, so would be looking at recipes that involved chopping them up into something else but seems a shame to waste them in a bolognese.

The oils suggestion would have been a good one if I didn't already have a variety of flavoured oils that don't get used thanks to other relatives.

Mintyy Sun 01-Sep-13 23:16:07

A couple of sundried tomatoes really jazz up a sandwich, I find.

CharlotteBr0nteSaurus Sun 01-Sep-13 23:21:51

have a look at delia's chicken basque on her website
or stir them into a goat's cheese risotto at the start of the cooking process
if you can add them at the early stages of something that will cook for a while, then the taste and texture become a little less "unique"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now