Talk

Advanced search

BBQ help

(4 Posts)
Littlemissexpecting Fri 26-Jul-13 11:21:11

I'm going to a BBQ tomorrow and have been asked to bring a couple of salads. Mine are pretty boring so need some inspiration. What are your favourites or fail safe recipes? Can include pasta, couscous etc. TIA

thereistheball Fri 26-Jul-13 15:03:11

I'd do a big pan of puy lentils and once they are drained and cooled add some or all of the following: rocket, halved cherry tomatoes, cubes of feta or goats' cheese (put these in just before you serve), roast butternut squash, chopped beetroot (not packaged in vinegar), red onion (raw and finely sliced or roasted in wedges with the squash), roast garlic cloves, flat leaf parsley, mint. The lentils will be even nicer if you mix in some balsamic vinaigrette while they are still warm.

Also, an enormous floppy green salad with cucumber, spring onions, avocado (added at the last minute or it will go brown), maybe some cooled green beans. Leave a lemon and mustard vinaigrette on the side so the lettuce doesn't dissolve. Or an alternative green salad: long thin slices of courgette that you griddle on the bbq while it's getting to the right temperature for the meat (brush with basil oil to stop them sticking), laid on a plate with fresh blanched peas, crumbled feta and pesto that you've let down with some more olive oil. You could bbq some spring onions at the same time.

And a tomato salad: big tomatoes, and finely sliced red onion. That's it.

WilsonFrickett Fri 26-Jul-13 17:52:04

New potato salad - boil new pots, drain, then while still hot dress them with mustard, oil and lemon juice. Salt and pepper, loads of fresh flat parsley.

We always have them with ham on boxing day, but they're good all year.

Have a look at the Ottolenghi thread for some other ideas, their salads are fab. The broccoli one is amazing - cook broccoli till just tender, blanch, drain really well. Then put it in a lined colander with a weight to completely dry it - it has to be not at all wet.

Griddle the broc batches on a drizzle pan, and heat oil with sliced garlic, chilli. Pour hot oil over hot broc (that bit is important) stir, add thinly sliced lemons, serve at room temp.

Littlemissexpecting Fri 26-Jul-13 22:43:01

Excellent they sound perfect. I've never tried puy lentils.
Would be interested in more pasta salad recipes too if possible?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: