Talk

Advanced search

Roast chicken

(12 Posts)
TheLadyVanishes Tue 06-Jun-06 14:18:33

dh bought some lemon thyme the other day and i also smothered the chicken in garlic, today however i only have garlic sooooo I shoved a bouquet garni up its jacksie and i'm not sure it will taste any better, what do you think??

moondog Tue 06-Jun-06 14:19:54

Yes,will be lovely.
Pop in a halved lemon too.
You also don't need to put any extra fat on roasting chicken.
Merely turn half way though.

YellowFeathers Tue 06-Jun-06 14:20:04

sorry but lolat shoving a bouquet garni up a chickens arse!

TheLadyVanishes Tue 06-Jun-06 14:21:37

needs must i'm afraid

YellowFeathers Tue 06-Jun-06 14:23:09

I'm sure it will taste lovely

Do you have a steamer?
You could steam cook it.

TheLadyVanishes Tue 06-Jun-06 14:27:12

don't know why but i've always been dubious about cooking meat in the steamer tho it probably tastes great (i'm a right fanny coz i have to keep cutting meat to make sure its cooked thro and this drives dh mad) ooh going to make delias gravy as well (made a shite gravy last week so fingers crossed it tastes better today) having roasties and parsnips and aunt bessies yorkshires coz i'm a lazy cow and not figured out how to make my own!

YellowFeathers Tue 06-Jun-06 14:30:58

Oh I'm the same as you. In fact I have a cooking thermometer now.

Roasting bags are good too. Cooks the meat well and partly steam cooks it. You can also use the fat at the end for your gravy. Just add a tablespoon of plain flour to your gravy granuals and then add the fat, mix and then add water to desired consistency.

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 14:31:59

Get a meat thermometer. I feel so much more comfortable knowing that all I have to do is spike the meat once and watch the dial, rather than stab it all over the place and watch the juices.

One thing I've got fussier over since having children!

D'you know, roast chicken tastes delish even if you just shove it in the oven with a bit of foil over it (take the foil off for the last half hour or so to get that lovely crispy brown look). I used to goto so much trouble to season and dress it, until I was trying to cook dinner, wake and feed baby, and still be on time for the school run!

TheLadyVanishes Tue 06-Jun-06 14:34:05

i used veg stock with the gravy juices and then added a huge amount of cornflour (looked bloody awful and tasted it too) tbh i've not cooked a proper roast a good few years (i have a thing about touching raw chicken euggh tho i'm getting better now)

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 14:37:46

I've also got more squeamish since having children, and I now buy boxes of 100 latex gloves, so I virtually never handle raw meat or fish with my bare hands any more.

I can't believe that I'm the girl who was the only one in her Biology group willing to disect the sheep's eyeball!

TheLadyVanishes Tue 06-Jun-06 14:39:24

dh works in a lab and i asked for some gloves and he looked at me as if i were daft, prettycandles where do you get your gloves from think i might invest in some

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Jun-06 19:20:47

Costco is cheapest, but you can't always guarantee they'll have latex. They do have vinyl, but I find latex more comfortable and less prone to splitting. Lakeland carry it too, but it's more expensive so I only buy it from them when I can't get to Costco and they have an offer on. Tesco do packs of 10 in the first aid section (I imagine Boots would too), but it's even more expensive that way - however needs must when the devil (or raw meat) etc!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: