Talk

Advanced search

Car shaped cake for DS;s birthday

(6 Posts)
savidgerl Tue 06-Jun-06 13:54:21

Can anyone give me a recipe and or instructions in how to make a car shaped cake for DS's second birthday? Not too difficult if possible. Thanks

Rhubarb Tue 06-Jun-06 13:55:14

Haven't got a clue!
Sorry, useless post, useless!
Shoo me away.

SaintGeorge Tue 06-Jun-06 14:02:09

Swiss roll.

You need to take a long slice off one length of the roll (end to end).

Lay biggest long piece flat edge down on cakeboard. Put the long slice back on top of the cake, curved side up, so that you have the basic body of the car.

Cover the lot in icing or butter cream to diguise joins.

Use round biscuits to stand up against body as wheels.

LIZS Tue 06-Jun-06 14:29:38

Could you adapt the recipe for this one at the bottom it shows how to cut the 2 loaf tin cakes or one of these ?

MrsBadger Tue 06-Jun-06 14:53:15

I do one like LIZS'a second link - bake an oblong sponge in a roasting tin, cut into lumps and reassemble into car shape.
Think I got it from a library book (prob Jane Asher) that recommended using Mini Rolls as wheels underneath to raise the car off the board, but round biscuits stuck on sound much easier. Also suggested squares of rice paper stuck on for windscreen and windows so you don't have to do two colours of icing.

just found pic here from the cover of the book I'd seen - the train is raised up on its wheels like the car is.

MrsBadger Tue 06-Jun-06 14:57:31

well, blow me down! You can get anything on the internet!
actual pic from the book I remember from 10 years ago - obviously you needn't crash them!

Like the idea of numberplate with child's name on

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: