Talk

Advanced search

Apricot jam - Haaalp!

(8 Posts)
KirjavaTheCat Thu 11-Jul-13 09:09:36

Yep lemon's in there, juice of one small lemon. Does that sound about right?

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 12:25:46

I add lemon smile .....but assumed this would be in the recipe OP is using?

blueberryboybait Wed 10-Jul-13 12:19:27

or lemon juice.

Sorry pressed post too soon!

blueberryboybait Wed 10-Jul-13 12:17:38

Apricots are very low in pectin which makes jam set so you may need to add pectin or another high pectin fruit like apple.

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 11:43:54

Weight is after stoning smile
....so amount of fruit cooked is equal to amount of sugar cooked.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 10-Jul-13 11:28:03

I would weigh them after stoning. IMO It is the sugar/juice proportions that matter. That way you have more fruit flavour per Kg sugar.

JamNan Wed 10-Jul-13 09:40:25

Lucky you to have so many fresh apricots. I looked in my recipe books and it doesn't really matter about the weight after stoning them. 1kg fruit + 1kg sugar. Enjoy the jam.

KirjavaTheCat Wed 10-Jul-13 09:04:59

I've never made jam before. OH got given 2kg of apricots yesterday and I would like to try to make some, it's his and DS' favourite.

Got a really simple recipe googled, looks lovely. However in the recipe it says "1kg apricots, halved and stoned", what does that mean? Do I halve and stone them, then weigh them up to 1kg? Or is that 1kg of apricots which I then half and stone? confused

I ask because the recipe calls for 1kg caster sugar, so I'm guessing equal quantities of sugar and fruit, except if I stone the apricots after weighing I'll have less fruit than sugar.

Am I overthinking it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now