Talk

Advanced search

baby rice makes him constipated - help

(10 Posts)
purplebod Fri 02-Jun-06 09:08:30

any ideas - ds is 6 and a half montha old. breastfeeding - have held off solids till recently because of history of allergies. baby rice seems to make him constipated and wakeful at night (a lot!)Haven't given him any for the past 2 days and we've all had some sleep. Would you try veg?any similar experiences? don't want to hold off any longer as third and fourth top teeth coming!

nothercules Fri 02-Jun-06 09:09:40

leave the baby wall paste and give him sweet potatoe and carrots and the like.

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 09:11:02

Course it does! You might as well feed him wallpaper paste. Sorry, but I have such a dim opinion of baby rice as a first food.

Try starting him off on baked sweet potato. It's soooo easy as you don't have to peel or puree it. Just sling it in the oven for 45m, then slit the skin and scoop straight out.

Next thing to try could be carrots (though be warned, they turn the poo bright orange and it stains the skin a little - alarming but perfectly harmless ).

gigglinggoblin Fri 02-Jun-06 09:12:16

we never used baby rice as ds hated it (dont blame him - have you tried it?!). he was weaned on veg and lentil soup before stock was added (so just veg, lentils and olive oil). also loved stewed apple, pear, banana - anything with some taste to it! we did find that some things didnt agree with him (banana came out looking exactly same as it went in) so stopped giving that for a few weeks then tried again when he was a bit older. no need for baby rice imo, hv agreed

purplebod Fri 02-Jun-06 09:40:02

such a relief - thanks. (It had occurred to me watching it going in that it may take some getting out!)
do i need t be concerned about his iron intake - don't use supplements and don't want to...?

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 09:42:43

Don't worry about that. He'll probably zip through the preliminary stages of weaning and be eating a sufficiently varied diet within a month or two. That's one of the advantages of leaving weaning as late as possible.

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 09:44:11

BTW, are you veggies? If so, then take other advice re iron. Just a small amount of meat in a baby's diet provides sufficient iron, but I don't know about veggie diet.

purplebod Fri 02-Jun-06 09:54:40

no - not veggies. have put the oven on for sweet potato as I type!!

kayzed Fri 02-Jun-06 16:31:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 02-Jun-06 17:05:05

Good sources of iron for small babies:
- lentils etc. The red lentils are easiest to digest as they have no skins.
- chicken (good for BLW, it breaks up naturally into strips)
- dried apricots

But as long as you weren't anaemic in pregnancy, and aren't anaemic now, your DS's iron levels are almost certainly fine for a few more months, anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: