Talk

Advanced search

Already do the veg box, now need organic meat/fish delivery. Recommendations?

(13 Posts)
Trifle Wed 31-May-06 09:21:06

We've used Riverford for quite a while now for our veg but am needing to source an organic meat/fish supplier. I have just ordered with Farmers Choice who are not organic but free range but considering they operate out of an industrial estate in Hampshire, I am not 100% hopeful. We eat very little meat and would prefer to go more fish orientated but as many farms are located in Devon, Yorkshire or Scotland, I am finding it hard to source anyone who might cover the South East. Anyone have any recommendations?

bluejelly Wed 31-May-06 09:24:24

No recommendations but would be very interested to hear too

lahdeedah Wed 31-May-06 09:24:53

Abel & Cole do meat and fish. I don't buy regularly - too expensive - but had some lemon sole from them recently which was delicious.

alexw Wed 31-May-06 09:37:21

My sister runs an organic meat delivery service. All meat from her farm, butchered by her. Delivers to me (London)and parents in scotland (ie, everywhere). Prices much better than supermarket too. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll pass on details.

bluejelly Wed 31-May-06 11:02:06

Hi AlexW sounds interesting-- can you pass on the details? My email address is
littleprune at hotmail dot co dot uk
(no spaces)
Thanks

lahdeedah Wed 31-May-06 11:06:31

Me too please - does she have a website?

my email is

manyme76 at googlemail dot com

Uwila Wed 31-May-06 11:16:40

Oh, yes Alex, post her website here. It's not an ad if the information is solicited by other (I think, hope MN agrees).

BonyM Wed 31-May-06 11:21:08

Ooh yes, please post details - would be v. interested.

alexw Thu 01-Jun-06 18:52:54

Not sure if website is up and running yet, but best bet is to call farm shop ('On the table') 01872 571 400 and she can send price lists/take orders.

FloatingOnTheMed Thu 01-Jun-06 19:10:29

Yes Abel & Cole (who i used to work for! ) do very good meat & fish.

KommandantColditz Thu 01-Jun-06 19:21:47

what's the difference between organic fish and normal fish, then?

FloatingOnTheMed Thu 01-Jun-06 19:45:04

IIRC, I don't think fish can officially be called "organic" because of course it is in the wild in the sea or rivers. When i was working at A&C they were sourcing their salmon from a salmon farm but that must have changed as i just read this on their website:

"We have scoured the country for fish producers who agree with us on the importance of sustainability and quality — as you can see from the range that they send to us here. Our wild fish is not organic as it hasn't been farmed, but our fishermen fish the seas with consideration and respect for the natural populations. "

Uwila Fri 02-Jun-06 12:29:48

Oh that's interesting. So, if fish is organic, then it's been farmed? Because otherwise how would you know what it's been eating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: