Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for meals for 2.4 year old

(7 Posts)
Em32 Tue 30-May-06 13:35:18

We seem to be rapidly going down the fishfingers etc route, ds doesn't like sauces so stews/casseroles etc are out. He won't eat sandwiches and I'm getting fed up of making him two hot meals a day. He will eat:
sausages, fishfingers, bacon, ham, chicken (and home made chicken balls - sometimes), pizza, broccoli, peas, sweetcorn, potato, pasta, yoghurt, icecream, apple if the apple is whole, biscuits, toast, cereal, crisps, salmon fishcakes. Is this list normal? Any suggestions to widen it a bit?

Em32 Tue 30-May-06 13:41:59

Ok so now I've just read Oliveoil's thread and don't feel so bad...... Afraid I've given up a bit on the homemade stuff for ds as it was all going in the bin. dd is eating annabel karmel until the same thing happens I guess......

FrayedKnot Tue 30-May-06 13:49:49

DS is 2.2.

He takes sandwiches in his packed lunch to nursery (which I think he usually dissects and eats the filling, and maybe some of the bread!)but at home we might have hoummus & toast, beans on toast, scrambled egg, or cheese & crackers, for lunch.

What about pasta bake with bolognese type sauce, or tomato sauce & lots of cheese on top? I hide spinach in my pasta sauce too.

DS also likes salmon cooked in tin foil in the oven with lemon & butter.

What about roasts? Chops?

I'm impressed your DS will eat brocolli.

DS eats carrots, peas & sweetcorn. That's it on the veggie front.

jamese Tue 30-May-06 21:29:57

Your list sounds pretty good to me. He is getting all the nutrutients he needs.. I can understand what you mean about cooking 2 hot meals a day, my DD is now happy to eat sandwiches or even prefers ham wrapps, so I have not stopped 2 hot meals on some days.

she won't eat casseroles, sheppards pie or pasta either so I tend to cook her more roast type dinners.

If she is having roast for dinner, I tend to give the following for cold lunch, cold sausages or ham, bread, cheese, cucumber.grapes, apple, raisins all together on her plate. She calls it her picnic and loves the idea. It saves me having to cook her lunch..

She won't eat salad veg so that is why I give her fruit. but she will eat the same hot veg as your DD so I know she is getting her 5 fruit and veg.

Em32 Wed 31-May-06 15:54:26

Thanks - might try the salmon idea and I HAVE to give the picnic food a go soon as I'm really fed up with cooking all bl**dy day. It has really taken the fun out of cooking for me which is why dh tends to cook our dinner. By the time it gets to that I'd rather just eat whatever is in the fridge than have to cook and clear up one more time.....

jamese Fri 02-Jun-06 10:30:14

Did you try the picnic? We even had ours outside the other day and DD thought it was ace.

I gave my DD pasta and bol sauce with loads of cheese on the other day but she just didn't want to eat it. we had to bribe with her orange juice.. ie 1 spoonful of food for 1 swig of orange juice (diluted with water and ice cubes)... She ended up eating the whole lot - but crickey did it take a long time....

We will be having a picnic again at lunch time, followed by meat and veg tonight. should be ok today...

hope all goes well.

PetitFilou1 Fri 02-Jun-06 13:47:55

Nope tried the salmon though and he said it was nice - takes 3.5 minutes in the microwave to cook 2 bits - (have changed my nickname as thought it was too obvious if anyone is wondering) but will try the picnic soon (hopefully outside at weekend if the weather gets better)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: