Talk

Advanced search

Dulce du lait

(8 Posts)
speedymama Tue 30-May-06 12:42:49

I have a recipe for an apple tart that requires dulce du lait. Is this similar to condense milk and any advice on where I can purchase it please. I have to be places like Asda and Somerfield but I cannot find it.

TIA

azroc Tue 30-May-06 12:43:58

I think I saw this in the health food shop, and I think it's a kind of toffee spread.

JackieNo Tue 30-May-06 12:44:26

Some here , but I think I've seen it in Waitrose.

speedymama Tue 30-May-06 12:48:16

Thanks ladies. The link says that it is available from Tesco so hopefully I can get some from there.

Bink Tue 30-May-06 12:53:57

You can also make it from condensed milk (boil the tin, instructions on the Carnation label) but if you don't actually have a fondness for the taste of condensed milk, it's a bit yuck made that way (I think).

The Merchant Gourmet one is the nicest one, & JackieNo is right Waitrose stock it - I bought some last week & ds and I made a fabulous banoffee pie with it yesterday.

Bink Tue 30-May-06 12:55:36

oops, boil the contents of the tin. With loads more sugar and butter, if I remember right

lua Tue 30-May-06 13:11:40

The standard way in south america to do it is to buy a tin of condensed milk and boil for 30 min (for soft, spreadable), to one hour (eat in slices, yum!).

lua Tue 30-May-06 13:12:05

To make it clearer. boil the whole tim, still closed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: