Talk

Advanced search

Sprouts smell like nail polish?

(11 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Mon 29-May-06 19:10:49

Bought mung bean sprouts Sat. Opened them today, smelled really bad. Won't eat, will complain. Don't know what it is. Any ideas?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 29-May-06 21:41:28

Any ideas?

PrettyCandles Mon 29-May-06 21:49:53

Pregnant?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 29-May-06 21:50:26

No, I'm not. I do have a good sense of smell, but DH could smell it, too, quite strongly.

PrettyCandles Mon 29-May-06 21:54:14

Probably off then.

Mercy Mon 29-May-06 21:59:53

Were they in a plastic bag?

I've had a similar experience with bean sprouts - can't remember what they smelled like but it wasn't nice!

I now get them out straightaway and put them in a bowl of water in the fridge (as seen in an Oriental supermarket!). They need to be eaten pretty soon though. How about growing your own?

SaintofGeorgia Mon 29-May-06 22:06:13

Probably a bit too damp, they start to almost ferment if you aren't careful.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 29-May-06 22:08:48

They didn't have that feet-like smell that sprouts get. It was a really strong nailpolish smell.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 29-May-06 22:09:43

Oh, and they were in a styrofoam container with plastic on top. But I took half of them out, rinsed them a bunch of times, and they still smelled really strongly of nailpolish (acetone?).

PrettyCandles Mon 29-May-06 22:14:06

Beansprouts go manky very quickly if they're in a sealed container. I usually take them out of the plastic bag as soon as I unload the shoppping and put them in a paper bag, or a shallow bowl with a piece of damp kitchen roll over.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 29-May-06 22:26:18

They do go off, but this wasn't the "sprouts-gone-off" smell. It was something weirder.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: