Advanced search

American recipe book - I need help!

(19 Posts)
mummypumpkin Mon 29-May-06 15:45:34

Hi all!
I've purchased a recipe book but it's American and I have no idea what the conversions are or in fact what some of the ingredients are - can anyone help me out?

Carmenere Mon 29-May-06 15:47:15

Look up a measurements convertor on the web - very handy indeed, or simply buy a set of american measures, I actually prefer us measures

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:49:43

Message withdrawn

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 15:50:13

Let us know what you need converting and we will tell you.

For measurements, a cup is 8oz, a tablespoon is 15ml and you should be able to extrapolate everything else from that.

mummypumpkin Mon 29-May-06 15:52:13

Thanks - what's a quart?

jabberwocky Mon 29-May-06 15:52:57

I'm not the greatest at conversions, but I can help out with the ingredients. What do you need to know?

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:52:57

Message withdrawn

mummypumpkin Mon 29-May-06 15:53:29

Is 'heavy cream' double cream and what's 'half and half'?

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:53:59

Message withdrawn

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 15:54:20

A quart is a quarter of a gallon. A gallon is 8 US pints, therefore a quart is 2 US pints = 32 fluid oz.

A litre is a good approximation for a quart.

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 15:54:21

A quart is a quarter of a gallon. A gallon is 8 US pints, therefore a quart is 2 US pints = 32 fluid oz.

A litre is a good approximation for a quart.

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:55:06

Message withdrawn

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 15:55:53

Heavy cream is double cream. I don't think we really have half & half in this country - it's something Americans put in coffee, so I suppose closest to single cream. It means half cream half milk.

mummypumpkin Mon 29-May-06 15:56:18

Ok. I'm also going to search the web - which I probably should have done first - before I really irritate you all with my questions!

mummypumpkin Mon 29-May-06 15:57:00

Thank you all very much!

jabberwocky Mon 29-May-06 15:57:06

Found this for you:

Heavy cream
heavy whipping cream

Heavy cream contains about 36 percent butterfat and is suitable for whipping. It is the fatty liquid that rises to the top of milk when the milk is allowed to stand. Cream can be classified as heavy cream or light cream depending on the butterfat content.

For soups and sauces substitute equal amounts of evaporated milk (not for whipping or baking)
For use in recipes substitute a mixture of 1/4 cup of butter and 3/4 cup of milk (not for whipping).

Half and Half is equal parts and cream with a typical fat content from 10% and 18%. It is used in cooking, baking, in coffee or even over cereal. There are also non-fat half and half products available which are good substitutes for sauces and some desserts.

For 1 cup half and half use:
3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 15:58:26

Yes, Pruni, a British pint is bigger at 20oz. These measurements always seem to be in cups though, so you only ever have to deal with 8oz units and not get confused between American and Imperial.

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 15:59:15

Ask us, Mummypumpkin. The web is so unreliable in comparison with Mumsnet.

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 16:01:19

My instinct would be to use single cream when it asks for half-and-half, and double cream for heavy whipping cream

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: