Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to over scramble eggs?

(15 Posts)
Yonihadtoask Fri 07-Jun-13 07:57:12

I make lovely scrambled eggs.

When DH makes then he beats the life out of them. I reckon that a light folding is fine, as once they are in the pan you are scrambling them further.

By over beating is he doing it 'wrong'?

Or is ir just because I find anyone over stirring anything v annoying?? yes DS that's you and your tea

Bunbaker Fri 07-Jun-13 08:08:15

I don't think the beating of them makes any difference. From your heading I assumed you meant the length of cooking time. Overcooked scrambled eggs are horrible. I like them just set, when they are still slightly creamy.

CreatureRetorts Fri 07-Jun-13 08:16:35

I beat them thoroughly before cooking as hate the white snotty bits you might get.

Then I cook on a low heat with gentle stirring and turn it off before they're done to get them creamy with some nice "lumps" so they have texture. I do not like scrambled eggs with the texture of porridge!

CreatureRetorts Fri 07-Jun-13 08:18:10

thinks OP might have stirring issues grin

Yonihadtoask Fri 07-Jun-13 09:05:40

Ha ha yes creature I think so.

Ta for replies.

Thinking back I remember seeing chef on tv actually sieving the eggs prior to cooking.

I like mine how I cook them anyway. Always just a little underdone smile

ChewingOnLifesGristle Fri 07-Jun-13 09:09:01

I've always thought you weren't supposed to beat them much and overcooking makes them grey and rubbery.

Treat them gentlywink(merest bit of black pepper too)

Alwayscheerful Fri 07-Jun-13 09:14:25

Two parts here
Cooking - scrambled eggs continue to cook in the pan after you turn the heat off, switch them off when they are still moist.
Beating - two schools of thought some chefs say be gentle, lightly beat (the scientific school of thought) and others say its all in the whisking/beating (the housewife or delis type school of cookery).

Yes you can over cook and overbeat.

calypso2008 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:18:46

You are right OP you shouldn't 'overbeat' them. Also add a little bit of milk to make them really creamy.

I think it was one of the Roux brothers I saw on TV once, he showed how to make perfect scrambled eggs, definitely do not overbeat. As you say, you are still scrambling in the pan.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Fri 07-Jun-13 09:22:16

Doh! Now I want some lovely creamy wobbly scrambled eggs on brown toast.

calypso2008 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:27:38

Me too grin

Alwayscheerful Fri 07-Jun-13 10:35:45

I have just read the rhubarb thread, someone mentioned structural integrity, that was the phrase the chef used, lightly beat in order that you do not loose the structural integrity of the eggs!

Yonihadtoask Fri 07-Jun-13 10:40:40

Structural integrity - love it. DH likes it when I use big words smile

I made scrambled eggs for DS this morning - lucky boy - which is what got me thinking about this one (however, I did it the cheat way, in the microwave as we had no butter left for doing in a pan. tasted good though.

ThisIsYourSong Fri 07-Jun-13 10:50:02

these are fantastic. Print it out and leave it lying around

Alwayscheerful Fri 07-Jun-13 11:29:01

This is your song - lovely recipie note lightly whisk.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Jun-13 15:35:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now