Talk

Advanced search

risotto ideas

(27 Posts)
hobnobsaremyfave Sun 02-Jun-13 11:58:22

Thinking of doing a risotto for dinner tonight for a change. DC's reasonably unfussy. Any suggestions for recipes.
TIA

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 02-Jun-13 15:14:35

I usually do either butternut squash, or a green vege one (leeks, asparagus, peas, broad and/or green beans, artichokes if I've got a jar).

JulesJules Sun 02-Jun-13 15:22:38

I usually do leeks or courgettes with peas, or asparagus, or a classic plain one with lemon (Anna del Conte recipe). I also love fennel risotto and roasted pepper risotto.

My children won't eat any of them though, so they're just for DH and me, with a large glass of wine, after they've gone to bed grin

forevergreek Sun 02-Jun-13 15:24:21

We do Bacon, mushroom and broad bean risotto. Kids Hoover it up in silence!

DwellsUndertheSink Sun 02-Jun-13 15:24:46

bacon and tomato
Bacon and pea

Whatevertheweather Sun 02-Jun-13 15:53:16

Lemon and prawn risotto is favourite here - yum smile Light and summery

ScrambledSmegs Sun 02-Jun-13 16:02:54

2 that go down well in our house are-

- Lemon with mint, smoked salmon and peas

- Roast butternut squash with sage and blue cheese (no Parmesan)

But my favourite ever is a plain risotto with a spicy breadcrumb mix on top - Jamie Oliver does a recipe but I'm having trouble linking on my phone. It's divine.

ScrambledSmegs Sun 02-Jun-13 16:05:14

Oh, but for kids I think bacon/peas/mushroom would be a fantastic introduction to risotto. Would be lovely with fresh thyme and lots of parmesan to grate over.

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 02-Jun-13 16:10:33

Thanks guys am off to cook this soon and am going to try a leek, pea and mint one with parmesan crisps.
Fresh mint from the garden grin

Steffanoid Sun 02-Jun-13 16:28:28

chicken and chorizo on wilted spinach
chuck a blob of Philly in it makes it lush, love peas in risotto too smile

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 02-Jun-13 16:33:26

will be hanging on to all of these. smile

hellohellohihi Sun 02-Jun-13 19:12:47

Chicken and mushroom.

Chorizo and artichoke.

Bacon and butternut squash

Salmon and pea

(in fact I put peas in all my risottos)

LEMisdisappointed Sun 02-Jun-13 19:22:33

Im supposed to be having risotto tonight but i dont have any stock jelly things - it will be vile wont it?

forevergreek Sun 02-Jun-13 19:26:07

Don't you have a normal stock cube?

Do you have some basic veg, ie carrots, onions, leeks or something? You can cook them in water and make a quick veg stock if you want

MrsMillions Sun 02-Jun-13 19:29:08

Leftover roast chicken or gammon always very good in a risotto.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 02-Jun-13 19:29:23

only have an oxo cube (beef) that would be just plain wrong! smile not sure i can be arsed to make stock its a bit late - feck

TheSecondComing Sun 02-Jun-13 19:30:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

forevergreek Sun 02-Jun-13 19:35:04

For bacon/ mushroom / broad bean..

I just add the bacon just after onion and garlic softened to crisp up a bit, then add mushrooms and cook down, then continue usual risotto making and however you make and add broad beans in 10 mins before the end.

Whatalotofpiffle Sun 02-Jun-13 19:38:43

Bacon and scallops smile

ShadowStorm Sun 02-Jun-13 19:39:55

Sausage risotto (with onions and sweet peppers) goes down well in our house.

JamNan Sun 02-Jun-13 19:48:07

Jamie O has a nice recipe for cauliflower risotto which is topped with anchovy-flavoured fried bread crumbs. Sounds horrible but I assure you it's delish.

Cauliflower risotto (Risotto ai cavalfiori) recipe here

toastedteacake Sun 02-Jun-13 23:22:08

Salmon and cucumber

Sounds odd, tastes delicious.

suncream2011 Wed 05-Jun-13 14:23:39

How do you all make the rissotto bit please?

iseenodust Wed 05-Jun-13 14:32:33

Asparagus. Tis the season. smile Lovely with a bit of parma ham for decoration.

Easiest risotto recipe (and purists will claim cheating) is Delia's prawn risotto that you mainly cook in the oven, because who has time on a school night for all that hovering over it?

LEMisdisappointed Wed 05-Jun-13 14:42:18

suncream - its a bit of a faff, but I cook by the one wine for me and one for the pot method so its not so bad grin

firstly i chop some onions and fry them in butter or oil, for about ten minutes, then i add the rice and wait until its gone a bit pearly looking and then add about half a glass of wine and let it boil away, giving the odd stir. I make up the stock from a knorr stock jelly (about 750ml) and add gradually. The key is to wait until the liquid has been absorbed before adding the next bit - that is where the faff and hovering come from. Usually takes about 20 minutes. I sometimes add parmesan but usually cheddar just before serving. Oh and whatever indredients I am putting with it, so either mushrooms or chicken that i have cooked meantime, or smoked salmon and peas - lush lush lush smile Its one of my favourite meals.

Loving the variations here!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: