Talk

Advanced search

Help - in date frying steak not a good colour

(12 Posts)
niceglasses Thu 25-May-06 17:08:57

Got some Irish thin cut steak for frying which is out of date tomorrow, but it is not a good colour - not red, more of a brown. Is it okay? Smells okay. About to either give to kids or throw in bin........thanks.

zippitippitoes Thu 25-May-06 17:10:04

IMO fine, I thought red meat was better brown than red

Marina Thu 25-May-06 17:10:28

Brown is fine especially if in date. All it means is the cut surface of the meat has been exposed to the air. Our excellent butcher says bright red steak is not ready for cooking or eating - it needs to be brown in his view

Marina Thu 25-May-06 17:10:48

snap zippi - def true of good beef

FioFio Thu 25-May-06 17:11:54

Message deleted

Mercy Thu 25-May-06 17:12:47

If it smells ok it's fine ime - you are usually very safe with beef.

bundle Thu 25-May-06 17:12:53

yes fio

Marina Thu 25-May-06 17:13:06

Brown mince, because it is all cut surface, can be dodgy IMO. Am more cautious about it.
But a juicy slice of beef...

zippitippitoes Thu 25-May-06 17:15:21

I think brown mince is more likely to be spoiling..though not sure of the logic!

niceglasses Thu 25-May-06 17:18:09

Aw, you girls are great, in the pan it goes then. Like having a very quick response online encyclopaedia..........

Marina Thu 25-May-06 17:20:16

Bon appetit!

joelalie Fri 26-May-06 08:08:14

Brown mince is more dodgy because the surface of the meat (where any bacteria will gather) is broken up and mixed with the rest of the meat when it is minced, distributing the bacteria nicely through the whole thing. Lovely. I always freeze mince as soon as I get it for that very reason. Steak will only have bacteria on the surface so if it's cooked at a hot enough temp it will kill the bacteria..which presumably is why DH can eat steak that is nearly blue in the centre without getting food poisioning.

BTW [pointless fact alert] the bacteria that make food smell bad aren't the same ones that make you ill.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: