Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a recipe for "smartie cookies" like you get in the supermarket?

(19 Posts)
99redballoons Thu 25-May-06 15:20:36

Hi all, do you have a recipe for the american style cookies? eg. like Miss Millies? I have a gorgeous triple chocolate one from MN yonks ago, but I need a plain one that I can stick smarties in. I've tried altering my choc recipe but they just come out pants.

Help please!

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 15:23:10

bloody Nora you are on a ROLL girl

my basic cookie recipe is,
4oz soft butter
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1 egg
half teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 and a half cups of SRF
a little mil to mix

do you know the method? If not i can post it but I don't want to teach you to suck eggs

KBear Thu 25-May-06 15:52:51

suzy - do these come out chewy? I love the smarties ones - big child that I am!!

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 15:54:11

if you want chewy undercook them and add a bit more sugar and butter

mykidsmum Thu 25-May-06 15:56:59

whats mil suzy??

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 15:58:32

milk, of course

mykidsmum Thu 25-May-06 16:00:11

duh!!!! thanks, am going to make cookies later, sod the diet!!

katzg Thu 25-May-06 16:00:15

i have a recipe, well its DH's mums secret family recipe, which makes the nicest chewy cookies - just like the supermarket. i will post it later when i get home

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 16:00:39

oh you tease!

katzg Thu 25-May-06 16:03:21

i'm at work!

but if i didn't post a reply then it wouldn't be in my active convos and i'd forget

katzg Thu 25-May-06 19:30:59

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
don't tell DH i let you have it:

12oz Self raising Flour
3oz Golden syrup
8oz caster sugar
1 tsp bicarb
1 egg (beaten)
4oz marg

then add one of the following
smarties
chocy chips
2 tsp ginger

pegasus Thu 25-May-06 20:34:29

Ooooh! How long for and at what temperature in the oven katzg? They sound yummy!

katzg Thu 25-May-06 21:34:17

sorry gas mark 4 which is about 180 for 15 mins

99redballoons Thu 25-May-06 22:14:26

Ooooooooo- lovely! Thanks girls.

Hi suzy, yes please to the method. I'm sure it was your triple choc chip recipe too!

PS. did the roast tonight, just couldn't wait... it was loverrrly!

suzywong Fri 26-May-06 06:58:32

i would not like to second guess katzg's method as there are a couple of ways in could be done, we'll have to ask her
It wasn't my triple choc recipe though, and so glad the roast turned out well

katzg Fri 26-May-06 07:29:43

for my cookies well DH's you mix the sugar eggs and marg together then add everything else

99redballoons Fri 26-May-06 16:03:11

Hi Suzy, it was your method I wanted
"do you know the method? If not i can post it but I don't want to teach you to suck eggs"

Sorry! it was soupy's biscuits ! Yum yum yum! Is your method similar to hers? I guess you could just bung it all together and I'm sure they'll resemble some sort of biscuit!

Thanks for both recipes, will be baking like mad this weekend!

suzywong Sat 27-May-06 00:24:53

well the basic Creamed Dough method is
Soften the butter in the microwave - I hear it is pretty chilly in the UK at the moment - and add the sugar. Using electric beaters cream together until pale and fluggy - 2 minutes of beating.
And the egg and vanilla and beat til combined.
Stir in the flour and flavourings and some milk if you need it - the mixture should hold together if you press a blob of it between your fingers.
Tip it out on to a sheet of clingfilm, form it into a cylinder, wrap it up in the clingfilm and roll like playdough until it's the right diameter for cookies them put it in the fridge for 2 hours or the freezer for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180, take the cookie dough and unwrap it and slice it in to rounds. Place on baking paper on a tray and you may need to flatten them slightly. Make sure they aren't touching one another.
Put in the oven and after 5 minutes turn down to 160. Bake for 10 minutes and then you need to be in tune with your oven (they are all different) and take them out when they just start to brown on the edges and the surface is cracking slightly.
Leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
You don't have to use all the dough at once, you can take what you need and return it to the freezer, although you will need to leave frozen dough at room temperature for 10 miutes before you slice it.

NB. I don't know about this method for Katzg's recipe as I have never tried it that way

99redballoons Sun 28-May-06 20:00:33

thanks so much !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: