Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I make dolmades with spinach?

(13 Posts)
babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 14:22:53

I couldn't find vine leaves to make dolmades and thought large leaf spinach would work the same..but so far it's a disaster..

Has anyone tried?

or a more simple question..at what point does spinach go beyond slightly wilted and become sloppy gloop? three attempts so far and i can't get it right..argh.

Carmenere Wed 24-May-06 14:24:36

Unfortunately BOB spinach goes soggy almost immediately. You could try using it raw to wrap the rice ect but it will only be a fascimile of dolmades.

Kathy1972 Wed 24-May-06 14:25:19

Spinach leaves are much too thin and break easily. I tried a recipe for stuffed spinach leaves once that was the same principle and it was a disaster
Cabbage leaves might work but sadly not quite the same taste....

Blu Wed 24-May-06 14:25:27

Try savoy cabbage?

babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 14:29:35

thanks..cabbage could be a good idea..

spinach is a disaster..hence we usually only ever eat it raw!

either that or i'll just use the stuffing to fill some sweet peppers..
hmm

bundle Wed 24-May-06 14:35:14

cabbage or lettuce better

beansontoast Wed 24-May-06 14:49:31

i could post you my vine leaves that i have had since ....ummmm about sept 03?...found them in the cupborad yesterday....and remembered my ancient intentions!

good on you for trying

babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 14:54:22

hahaha..if it wasn't raining i'd go to the turkish supermarket and get some....the guy there calls them 'wine leaves'

i'll give them a go with cabbage..and with some little gem lettuce first and if that fails scrap the idea and make peppers..lol

babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 16:18:53

it hasn't worked..the cabbage was nasty...the lettuce refused to bend (plus wet lettuce has nasty connotations for me)...lol

but dp will be buying vine leaves on the way home..phew..

thanks anyway..hopefully i'll manage with the vine leaves..hehe

beansontoast Wed 24-May-06 16:23:14

have you made up the rice recipe yourself too..will you be using...cous cous?
getting v hungry thinking about oily lemony dolmades...
seriously what you putting in the rice?

babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 16:32:12

lol..

weeell..from an ancient inherited recipe my d.p has..

1 onion fried in olive oil, with lemon zest, pinenuts, pinch of cinnamon, black and red pepper, salt, one cup of rice, a tiny splash of egg white..

then simmer gently in a little chicken stock for 15 minutes..add fresh parsley, finely chopped spring onions and dill...
drizzle it all in lemon juice..

then the bit that seems so easy..wrapping up the bleeders..argh!

if only the limp dicks they pass of as dolmades in sainsburys were better..

akoo2 Wed 22-May-13 10:28:16

I have made dolmades with spinach very tasty .
Use large spinach leaves they works better,dip them in boiling water till soft not soggy.On a cutting board remove most of the stem then roll the mince in the spinach.You will see its easier to work with the spinach when soft. Lay them in a pot cover with seasoned tomato paste and water mix. Cover them with a heavy plate and simmer for about 1 hour.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 22-May-13 12:49:53

This thread is 7 years old!

ZOOOOOMMMMMBBBBIIIIIEEEEEEEE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now