Talk

Advanced search

Scones HELP someone

(26 Posts)
inneedofrain Fri 24-May-13 11:53:05

Hi all

I am in desperately need if help I have two terrible problems in the kitchen one is robinsons jelly (give me gelatine and champagne no problem).. Other is scones

I have promised to make scones with dd (why or why could she want chiffon cake or something else simple) they are literally my nemesis

I have tried recipes with yeast ones with baking power, self raising flower and even out of a packet ( the shame) but they are all just not right! They are hard doughy flat etc ( I coat the cutter in flower and never twist)

Please does any one have a good scones recipy????

With clear method please

I have a little time tomorrow morning and would love to make scones with dd but I desperately need mn help

PLEASE

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 24-May-13 11:57:05

No help offered im afraid as scones are also my nemesis.

Every so often I try a different way to make them and am angry every time, so watching with interest.

inneedofrain Fri 24-May-13 12:00:10

Sorry to here you have the same problem

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 24-May-13 12:03:40

I'm going to try the Mary berry tips I just read online. Sounds promising.

link

calypso2008 Fri 24-May-13 12:07:28

How funny - I am going to make cheese scones tomorrow morning with DD.
I always use Delia's recipe. Generally I am a very bad baker indeed, but these scones are always perfect.

I can't link, but if you look up online Delia Smith scone recipe you will find it.

Good Luck smile

TweenageAngst Fri 24-May-13 12:07:33

Ok the trick with scones is speed. Get everything ready oven preheated to 220, baking sheet lightly floured, all ingredients weighed out.
www.kitchenislandnotes.co.uk/?p=59
I use this recipe.
Dont over knead it, it makes them tough. I bring everything together with the flat of a knife then get my hands in. and I never roll the dough I shape it with my hand.
I also never glaze them just a little bit of flour.

Wigeon Fri 24-May-13 12:07:38

Nigella has never failed me recipe here. Think it might be the cream of tartar.

Steffanoid Fri 24-May-13 12:10:05

it sounds like you may be working your dough too much, make sure as well you dont roll out too thick, try and work it with your hands and try and make your hands as cold as possible cause warm hands aren't good for baking

Scottishtanguera Fri 24-May-13 12:13:11

Agree with TweenageAngst, get everything ready in advance and don't overwork the dough. I never roll it either.
Also, haven't checked if the links are rubbing in method but I would go with that method, gets more air into it, I believe.
Good luck.

inneedofrain Fri 24-May-13 12:14:37

Yellow that does look promising maybe I am making mine too dry?

DewDr0p Fri 24-May-13 12:15:09

YY to Nigella's recipe - makes amazing scones.

BlingLoving Fri 24-May-13 12:17:05

My recipe is foolproof and easy. But I don't have it with me. I can post it another day if you want?

Agree with everyone else though - you need to be light, quick and cool. And my recipe does include cream of tartar so I think that's important.

inneedofrain Fri 24-May-13 12:17:58

Ok

I'm normally really good with dough etc i have freezing cold hands always rub the butter in etc

Ok questions is cold butter better that room temperature?

If you don't roll it how do you get it to the right thickness?

Off to check out the links

Thanks

ZacharyQuack Fri 24-May-13 12:21:27

Make Lemonade Scones. No butter rubbing required.

inneedofrain Fri 24-May-13 12:22:16

Oh bling if you could

I think I am going to try with Creme of tarta I have plenty in

I also think I may now have a mental block so maybes totally new ingredient in a scone batch will help?

Shanghaidiva Fri 24-May-13 12:29:01

agree with previous posters re not rolling out the dough and not overworking it.
I use a recipe from good food magazine - google ultimate scones - which uses milk which has been soured by the addition of lemon juice. They are really light - except for the time I forgot the baking powder...

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 24-May-13 12:42:57

I need to go out and get butter now and try them, I might go with the Cream of tartar as I have that and have never used it.

Have to wait for Dh to come home from work as pregnancy ligaments all to pot so can't drive or walk far.

I had a sewing project to start today, I will delay this till I've had a go as well.

PolterGoose Fri 24-May-13 17:39:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Knittingnovice Fri 24-May-13 17:46:44

I second zackeryquack - lemonade scones are amazingly simple, my nearly 5 year old can make them if I measure out the liquid's for him

lougle Fri 24-May-13 17:55:36

I make Mary Berry scones several times per week right now. In fact, I made some half an hour ago. They never fail.

8 oz SR flour
2 oz butter (or marg will do)
2 oz caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
250ml milk.

Beat egg and milk together in a jug.

Rub butter and flour together until like breadcrumbs.

Add sugar and baking powder

Pour enough of the egg/milk mixture into dry ingredients to make a soft but not too sticky dough.

Sprinkle some flour onto a surface. Scrape mixture out onto flour. Sprinkle some flour over the top and bring it together until you have a dough that is soft but will hold its shape.

Either gently roll it out using a rolling pin, or just pat it with your hands until it's about 1.5 cm thick.

Cut out circles then reshape remaining dough and cut again.

Brush remaining egg/milk mix over scones.

Bake in a hot oven (200c fan, 220 conventional) for 10 minutes.

snoworneahva Fri 24-May-13 20:28:01

I use this recipe from BBC good food - good texture, rise and flavour.

inneedofrain Sat 25-May-13 13:01:21

Total success

Yah perfect flufly exceptional well risen soft but not stall doughy perfect perfect tasting scones

Took maybe 15 Mins if that to make them no rolling pin in sight

I used the cream of tartar recipe I have tones of that in from making Swiss butter cream

Yippee now all I need to sort is robin sons jelly

Thankyou thankyou all

Wigeon Sat 25-May-13 20:07:01

Horray! Do you mean the Nigella recipe (which has cream of tartar)?

Your thread inspired me to make scones today, for the first time in ages (DH doesn't like them, so I tend not to make them, but he is away this weekend!). They were delicious (as usual grin!)

Glad you have got past your scone mental block.

Slainte Sat 25-May-13 20:14:43

OP please tell us which recipe worked for you?

inneedofrain Sat 25-May-13 20:49:39

Horay in did they have all been eaten and d p has requested another batch for tomorrow

Slainte it's the recipy that wigeon linked to up thread and its perfect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now