Talk

Advanced search

Rant. If you read a recipe online, what should you do?

(5 Posts)
snigger Fri 24-May-13 10:11:02

(a) read the recipe, do the recipe, reflect on the success of the recipe and adjust accordingly.
(b) read the recipe, order takeout.
(c) read the recipe, pretend to make the recipe, go online and in the comments below the recipe, say

"This was FAB - except I added hand-milked yak cheese and a drizzle of truffle oil, and replaced the puff pastry with phyllo, and instead of bacon I used hand-reared North Appalachian Parma-style ham shavings....."

I am in high dudgeon over this. HIGH dudgeon. I reiterate - high dudgeon with a truffle-oil glaze.

snigger Fri 24-May-13 10:12:07

Can't I escape the overachievers, even on the Martha Stewart website??

snigger Fri 24-May-13 11:17:00

Sigh.

Apparently, high dudgeon here goes down just like at home....blissful ignorance.....

lucamom Fri 24-May-13 16:51:06

I'm with you snigger!

Also can't abide the thrifty/foraging/cheap cooks who end up using so many additional ingredients the recipe is no longer free/cheap.

Hugh fernley-whittingstall is the worst for this-think 'free' hedgerow nettles, with just some Parma ham, truffles, mozzarella and pancetta added...

It's no longer free you muppet!

Reminds me of a story at school, we called it nail soup/stone soup.

Trill Fri 24-May-13 16:55:37

A, of course.

Ideally you first get the recipe passed through a filter like this blog (just had a baby so most recent few entries are weirdly about shopping), and Esther (a quite competent cook) will do the adjusting for you and tell you which bits you don't need to bother with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now