Talk

Advanced search

Which is the best Shop bought Tomato Pasta Sauce ?

(12 Posts)
Oblomov Wed 24-May-06 10:00:31

Was reading Lunamoonas thread.
I often make sauces from scratch and make shepherds pie, lasagne etc.
But when you just want a very quick meal, what pasta sauce do you buy ?
I have already tried :hompride, dolmio, lloyd grossman, an asda own, tesco's own.
All totally RANK.
Please tell me, which one do you buy ?
Which one is good

Piffle Wed 24-May-06 10:01:36

tescos own arrabiata the fresh one from the fridge is nice with a little kick to it, gorgeous with loads of parmesan no good for littles though.

Piffle Wed 24-May-06 10:02:11

All jarred ones are detestable IMHO, although pesto is fab esp Bertollis both kids adore it

colditz Wed 24-May-06 10:02:30

I buy Tesco Value, but I put cherry tomatoes and chopped up peppers in it. The are all crap unless you add something.

CarolinaMoose Wed 24-May-06 10:02:51

by the time you've boiled the pasta, you could've made a sauce from a tin of tomatoes, garlic and herbs. So ner.

Gloworm Wed 24-May-06 10:02:59

Meridian sun-dried tomato sauce.....delicious (and healthy), from health food shops

great for pizza too.

Bozza Wed 24-May-06 10:05:47

I have started making Delia's tomato sauce in bulk and freezing it in portions. We had it last night on some pasta with left over ham from a joint at the w/e, and sweetcorn wheels. Otherwise I only ever buy the fresh ones but am probably conning myself that they are better...

milge Wed 24-May-06 10:05:56

tesco's thick passata is great imho.

Racers Wed 24-May-06 10:06:15

I agree, some of the fresh ones are nice and great with fresh pasta for a five minute meal but the jarred ones seem to be very sweet. I like Sainsbury's tomato and marscapone

Tatties Wed 24-May-06 10:18:34

M&S? I had a cherry tomato and rocket one which was ok, I think they do a nice chilli one too. But as Colditz says, they are better if you add something.

oliveoil Wed 24-May-06 10:21:18

Sacla

They do quite a big range, olives & tom etc

dh is a major food snob and refuses to buy ready made anything (but he cooks so he maketh his own rod) and he tolerates these

99redballoons Thu 25-May-06 15:12:46

The 'Seeds of Change' range is really good. It's organic too and varies from a quick mix in sauce to a large jar of bolgnaise sauce. The Scala ones are nice too. I too make my own and find the Ragu and Dolmio so salty now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: