Talk

Advanced search

Can I freeze homemade sausage rolls and quiche? Baked or unbaked?

(6 Posts)
coco4242 Thu 23-May-13 10:38:12

I want to batch cook sausage rolls and quiches over the summer so I can grab them when needed for picnics.

Is this possible?

Is baked or unbaked best?

snoworneahva Thu 23-May-13 10:50:35

I froze mine unbaked, I deliberately made them smaller so they would bake through quicker from frozen.

coco4242 Thu 23-May-13 11:23:18

Did you freeze both quiche and s.roll unbaked snoworneahva?

Was the pastry ok after being frozen?

snoworneahva Thu 23-May-13 12:17:37

I've never frozen quiche - I'd probably freeze it cooked - maybe cover with tin foil at the end to prevent too much browning defrost and then reheat to crisp up the pastry. Think it's fine to defrost and re freeze pastry once too - well that's what it said on the Duchy Originals puff pastry I used to buy, it was considered a pretty safe product.

CakeForBreakfast Sat 25-May-13 10:28:37

sausage rolls are great frozen when unbaked. (glaze them first for ease of cooking later) Cook straight from frozen allow extra 5-10mins.

Quiche gotta be cooked first, but can cook it until the colour is pale and eggs just set, rather than ready for the table and can go back in the oven for 25mins from frozen when you want to eat it. Just make sure all the food is piping hot in the centre!

DoodleAlley Sat 25-May-13 10:38:47

I've also frozen home made sausage rolls cooked. I either have them cold once defrosted or warmed up again in microwave or oven.

I always do a big batch of sage and onion sausage rolls for bonfire night and put a load in the freezer for treats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now