Talk

Advanced search

Salad vegetables (disclaimer: boring!)

(8 Posts)
ALittleBitOfMagic Wed 22-May-13 12:51:32

I dont like Onions peppers or tomatoes, so when i make a salad its always so boring . Usually consists of mixed leaves, cucumber, spinach and grated carrot . Are there any other veggies that would work well here?

HeySoulSister Wed 22-May-13 12:53:22

beetroot
avocado
put some fruit in too?

dairymoo Wed 22-May-13 12:57:34

Celery, fennel, sweetcorn, roasted or steamed brassicas like cauliflower, broccoli, roasted squash, courgette ribbons....as HeySoulSister says, fruit like grapes, pears, apple. Whatever you do like - chuck it in!

Taffeta Wed 22-May-13 14:09:39

Herbs. They make a massive difference. I also like seeds and nuts eg sunflower, pumpkin etc.

Ruffello Wed 22-May-13 20:22:56

I'm also a fan of apple and nuts in Waldorf type salads. I also like to cook green beans and dress them while still warm and add to the rest of the salad leaves.

eslteacher Wed 22-May-13 21:17:14

Sliced radishes, sweetcorn, mushrooms, chilled green beans...

sharond101 Wed 22-May-13 22:32:58

I like beetroot, carrots and turnip all grated and served with chicken and raisins (bit odd I know!)

Sweetcorn with cubed carrots and cucumber on top of little gem leaves.

Toasted seeds on top?

Any salad leaves served inside a baked tortilla basket goes from boring to exciting.

DewDr0p Thu 23-May-13 12:15:03

Chicory, fennel, beansprouts (blanch briefly first), spinach, raw sliced mushrooms, courgette (cut into ribbons with a peeler perhaps), lightly cooked and cooled french beans/mangetout/sugar snap peas. Pea shoots, herbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now