Talk

Advanced search

Non roast dinner accompaniments to slow roasted pork please

(11 Posts)
shoppingbagsundereyes Wed 22-May-13 12:22:11

I plan to do a five hour slow roasted pork joint when friends come next Sunday but I want to do pre-prepared, different sides rather than roast potatoes, veg etc. so I'm thinking that nigella's fully loaded potato skins would go down well with adults and kids but wondering what else.
Think I fancy some interesting salads, crusty bread etc

Vajazzler Wed 22-May-13 12:34:13

How about corn on the cob? coleslaw?

Bunbaker Wed 22-May-13 12:37:31

I think fully loaded potato skins would be too rich with the pork. I would do a mixed root mash - I do carrot, swede and potato and add seasoning, butter and nutmeg. You can pre-prepare this and reheat in the oven or microwave.

I also thibk that crusty breads and salad sounds lovely. You don't have to have potato at all. Or what about a cous-cous salad?

soontobeslendergirl Wed 22-May-13 12:41:05

think I would do it with either mash or cous cous and a side of oven roasted peppers courgettes and onions.

or you could do some dauphinous potatoes and red cabbage or something

sweetheart Wed 22-May-13 12:44:50

pitta bread, some kind of sauce. Or maybe some stuffing and apple sauce to go in the pitta - thinking pulled pork kind of things.....

Ragwort Wed 22-May-13 12:46:52

I do this with (homemade) coleslaw and crusty bread, lovely and simple. Plain jacket potatoes would be nice, no need to go overboard.

drwitch Wed 22-May-13 12:49:34

pork and beans (haricot cannellini etc) go really well together so you could make a dish of those (cook beans, add herbs - sage rosemary and garlic) and reserve some of the cooking liquid. Use this with some of the juices from the meat to make a broth to serve the beans in, you may want to add a squeeze or two of lemon and some good quality olive oil at the end. Dp like this very wet (almost like stew) i prefer it so the liquid only just covers the beans

garlic bread

roasted femnel

pepperonata

also alll good

MortifiedAdams Wed 22-May-13 12:50:17

Cauliflower cheese

GladbagsGold Wed 22-May-13 12:51:21

Dauphinoise potatoes are gorgeous with slow roast pork.

shoppingbagsundereyes Wed 22-May-13 13:31:15

Corn on the cob def and home made coleslaw. Think will look for a bean salad recipe too. Thanks smile

OhBuggerandArse Wed 22-May-13 14:59:58

Red cabbage with apple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now