Talk

Advanced search

Scared of Anchovies ... but determined to try!

(26 Posts)
iamnowawhaticallmother Tue 21-May-13 11:22:42

Good day to you all.

I would LOVE to try Anchovies but I am a little scared of them because of the face most people make when you mention them! They don't look too appetising either ... but I am determined to try them as life is short.

My Question is... what do you suggest I do with them? Any good ideas?

And what really compliments them / what wine would you have with them?

I am thinking of something a little more than just 'put them on your pizza' - would love to hear your experiences!

seeker Tue 21-May-13 11:25:42

Do you mean fresh or tinned? Or in jars?

Labootin Tue 21-May-13 11:27:35

Jamie Oliver yy I know ...

Had a pasta and breadcrumb with anchovies thing in his how to cook book was suprisingly nice (and now one of my sidedish BBQ staples)

iamnowawhaticallmother Tue 21-May-13 11:29:05

seeker... i have no idea. Never had them before. Was going to get a tin / John West - but am open to suggestions.

burberryqueen Tue 21-May-13 11:29:06

make a stunning puttanesca sauce for pasta by frying oil, garlic, chilli and ANCHOVIES and tomato and throwing in some chopped olives.
Also you can make a lovely winter salad dressing by combining anchovies and olive oil, ideal for a raw savoy cabbage salad.
Drape a couple over schnitzels before serving.
Add a couple or three to a beef stew for flavour enhancement.
Have as a snack with stale white bread, delishous.

burberryqueen Tue 21-May-13 11:29:40

^^ from tins or jars...

Labootin Tue 21-May-13 11:30:00

this

iamnowawhaticallmother Tue 21-May-13 11:30:03

ooh... lots of good ideas Burberry.

iamnowawhaticallmother Tue 21-May-13 11:30:51

yummy Labootin!

seeker Tue 21-May-13 11:33:09

Nigel Slater's puttanesca. One of our family staples- you can leave out the chilli if you like, but it's better with!

A couple chopped very fine then stirred into mashed potato is lovely with sausages.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 21-May-13 11:34:28

I made a lovely salad with boiled new potatoes, lettuce, hard boiled eggs, anchovies and a creamy mustardy dressing.

Shove some into roasting lamb with rosemary and garlic, this is mmmmm.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 21-May-13 11:35:06

seeker, that link has made me hungry

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 21-May-13 11:35:20

I agree with puttanesca. I you don't like them it would be daunting to just eat one straight away. You don't really get any fishiness in a sauce as the anchovies melt almost into the tomatoes etc. you just get a distinct saltiness and savoury flavour. God I love anchovies.

seeker Tue 21-May-13 11:37:08

Our farm shop has fresh ones lightly pickled- they are so delicious in salads or just to eat as they are. I want some now.

Puttanesca for supper!

ParsingFancy Tue 21-May-13 11:37:14

Yy to the anchovies gently fried and mashed into olive oil with garlic and maybe chilli, as a dressing. I use it on broccoli, esp purple sprouting.

Also yes to chucking in with lamb. Either stab the lamb all over with a paring knife and insert anchovy + garlic sliver, or just chuck anchovies into the sauce when stewing/braising.

EuroShaggleton Tue 21-May-13 11:38:22

The fresh ones you get at tapas places are lovely. I can take or leave the really strong ones you get on pizzas though.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 21-May-13 11:39:33

this thread is TORTURING ME

I am pregnant goddammit, can't you all stop? No anchovies in the house....

seeker Tue 21-May-13 11:42:56

Why can't you eat anchovies when you're pregnant?

burberryqueen Tue 21-May-13 11:43:23

lol if anyone sees a pregnant lady sprinting down the road towards the anchovy shop clutching her purse and lightly foaming at the mouth, that will be humphrey.....grin

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 21-May-13 11:48:56

Surely you can eat anchovies when pregnant? The risks must be so small as to be insignificant.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 21-May-13 11:49:57

I can eat anchovies, I just don't have any grin

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 21-May-13 11:51:23

Oh I SEE. Well ring someone up and be demanding in a pregnant woman way and ask for some anchovies to be purchased immediately. grin

HumphreyCobbler Tue 21-May-13 11:57:35

<phones DH> I will make that Puttanesca for tea

I would sprint to the shop but it is eight miles away and I can't sprint to the phone let alone the shop

seeker Tue 21-May-13 12:18:17

How about everyone on this thread makes puttanesca this evening? grin

fieldfare Tue 21-May-13 12:24:17

Puttanesca! It's our favourite pasta sauce.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: