Advanced search

Please help .. need 'international' food

(16 Posts)
Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 18:33:34

for international evening

the plan is people bring food from around the world to share with others

I don't know what to do

I can choose any food type .. but at a loss

would prefer food to be eaten cold .. but can be reheated if necessary.. would prefer pickable food (some people do soups but too much hassle to serve / eat)

spidermama Mon 22-May-06 18:45:08

Mexican is nice, cheap and easy. Get either tacos, nachips or corn/flour tortillas and make the following fillings ...

Chilli minced beef
Refritos (pinto beans boiled then mashed and refried with tomoato, chilli, garlic and onion).
Chopped tomotoes
Soured cream
grated cheese (Manchego is good)
Guacamole (mushed avacado with chlli, tomatoes and a squeeze of lime
Salsa (in a jar)

oxocube Mon 22-May-06 19:41:30

Hi Twiglett, do you mean you are hosting the evening or are you a guest being asked to bring something? I go to loads of these things as am part of an ex-pat community in Holland and usually, everyone brings something from their own country. So for Britain I would maybe bring a traditional Brit pud like apple pie or strawberries and cream, or a savoury pie - fish, chicken? Think cooking for the Queen thingy on the telly!

ScummyMummy Mon 22-May-06 19:44:08

Antipasti?

oxocube Mon 22-May-06 19:44:20

Actually, just thought, I did a chicken and ham pie recently which went down well - prepared well in advance, cooked as I was getting ready to go out (just has to be bunged in oven) then was still warm as we arrived at the 'do'. Am sure others will have much cleverer ideas though!

Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 19:46:27

sorry have dual threads going

its a school hosted event .. people bringing dishes (potentially 300 people there) so don't want mega-expensive dishes

BettySpaghetti Mon 22-May-06 19:48:35

Onion bhajis
Samosas
Pakora

Tapas

ScummyMummy Mon 22-May-06 19:49:37

ok...
I would do a big plate of cupcakes. Maybe you could ice them with flag colours?

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Mon 22-May-06 19:52:37

felafel with humous and pitta bread and salad - you can buy them and they're fab - best warm but you can have them cold.

oxocube Mon 22-May-06 19:54:08

Although its hassle, I do think its nice to have some warm things as opposed to lots of cold buffet foods. How about some small baked potatoes wrapped in foil which stay warm for ages and separate bowls of cheese, soured cream, onions?

SSSandy Mon 22-May-06 19:58:06

Baguette, cheeseboard with some different French cheeses and a small bowl of olives in the middle.

Mercy Mon 22-May-06 19:58:32

dd's school does international days. The most popular food seems to be Asian or Caribbean.

Lots of pakoras, bhajis, jerk chicken, chick pea curry, rice & salad etc. Or tortilla or pasta salad - kids tend to like those sort of things, plis mini hot dogs, pizza etc

tissy Mon 22-May-06 20:00:00

along with the felafel and houmous, how about tzatziki- cucumber, yoghurt and mint. You could also do lamb balls (i.e. meatballs made with lamb mince and pine nuts)- easily stuff well into pitta pockets

oxocube Mon 22-May-06 20:04:02

tissy, th lamb balls are a good idea with pitta bread. Kids love those! Is this food for kids and adults then? Sorry to be thick!

Twiglett Mon 22-May-06 21:47:51

both

do you have a recipe for lamb balls .. sound a good idea

cheeseypeas Mon 22-May-06 22:46:14

Hi have a fantastic recipe for Lamb Meatballs. Coincidently had them for dinner tonight with some home made tomatoey sauce...

1 tbsp desicated coconut
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp cardamon powder
1 pinch of cinnamon
1 egg
plain flour - for coating
200g lamb mince

Mix well in a large bowl and divide into balls, roll in flour and fry on both sides.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: