Talk

Advanced search

Brisket ideas please

(9 Posts)
shockedballoon Wed 15-May-13 15:22:06

Our monthly meat box contains brisket this month and I've never actually cooked this partic joint. I remember my mum cooking it a few times and it being pretty tough so I reckon slow cooking is the order of the day.

I have a vague notion:
some sort of aromatic (spices?) slow cooked (how long?) beef that I could shred and eat in pitta breads (with?)

Or maybe someone has an awesome fail safe recipe that is perfect for brisket...?

anklebitersmum Wed 15-May-13 15:42:04

Red wine a very generous 3 glass splosh, black cracked pepper and creamed horseradish over the beef.

Whack in the oven on gas 2 from 11am until tea time, making sure it's well tin foiled into the tin or stone you're cooking it in.

Basically the longer and slower the better..it'll fall apart and taste fantastic.
We usually do roasties and all the trimmings but a good mashed potato and gravy with the juices works nicely too grin

mrsminiverscharlady Wed 15-May-13 17:00:39

We rub in a mixture of brown sugar and chilli, brown it briefly on the stove and then cook covered with red wine and sliced onions. My favourite way of cooking before ever smile

mrsminiverscharlady Wed 15-May-13 17:00:56

cooking beef (night shift brain blush)

NettoSuperstar Wed 15-May-13 17:13:35

Brisket with barbecue sauce
I do this in my slow cooker, and it's amazing.

shockedballoon Wed 15-May-13 17:28:33

Mmmmm - all sound well tasty!
Like the idea of having a wee chilli kick, however DS (3) not a fan and whatever I make with this will be a family meal, guess it's just as easy to leave it out.
Love the idea of cooking it with horseradish, but feel like that's more of a winter frost-on-the-ground-cold-noses type dish. Will def give that a go at some point though.

mrsminiverscharlady Wed 15-May-13 18:16:24

The chilli doesn't really make it hot, just adds a little bit of flavour. You could try a bit of cumin instead maybe.

PinkyCheesy Wed 15-May-13 21:34:54

I made Sauerbraten at Christmas with a piece of brisket. Its a German dish and uses aromatic flavours like ginger, cinammon and cloves. It marinates for 3 days then cooks slowly to produce a wonderful tender roast. (ask for it boned and rolled from the butcher). I used [ http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/sauerbraten-recipe this recipe]

Am also planning to buy another brisket and make salt beef with it. Google The Guardian for lots of great recipes for homemade salt beef

sashh Thu 16-May-13 02:48:17

Pot roast.

Put the brisket in a sc or large pot, squeeze as many veg as you can, cover with boiling water and a stock cube and leave for hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now