Talk

Advanced search

Leftover slow-cooked beef.... what to do?

(7 Posts)
smoothieooo Wed 15-May-13 14:19:09

I have a big(ish) lump of beef leftover from when I slow cooked it in wine on Sunday for our 'roast'. I won't get a chance to use it tonight and was thinking of bunging it (back) in the slow cooker tomorrow morning to make some kind of casserole/curry, otherwise will have to chuck it.

Any ideas gratefully received!

inamonthofsundays Wed 15-May-13 14:26:28

I'm not a slow cooker gal but you could do a risotto and add the chopped/shredded beef at the end.

PlatoonBuffoon Wed 15-May-13 14:27:59

Old school shepherds pie with chopped meat and Gravy instead of mince?

PlatoonBuffoon Wed 15-May-13 14:28:23

Sorry, should be cottage pie shouldn't it?!

smoothieooo Wed 15-May-13 14:33:32

Actually shepherd's/cottage pie is a great idea - thanks Platoon . My reasoning behind slow cooking was because it's been sitting in the fridge since Sunday but thinking about it, it's probably better to nuke on a higher heat!

inamonth I'm not a bad cook <honest guv> but am spectacularly bad at risottos!

wrenster Wed 15-May-13 16:03:43

Beef casserole with some veggies would be nice, or stir fry? I use slow cooked beef for my stir fries and they are fab as the beef stays nice and tender.

Chinese beef - put some peppers, baby corn and mange tout in with some stock and five spice.

21mealspluscake Thu 16-May-13 13:53:44

Roast some red onions or shallots till they're caramelised, dice the meat and add to the onions with some thin rings of carrot and the leftover sauce from the first slow roast, cover with a pastry lid and bake till golden. Serve with lots of mash and some greens, spinach perhaps or buttered spring cabbage.

Or fry some mushrooms, bacon and garlic, add the shredded meat and use as a filling for pasties. Bake till golden and serve with salad. You can freeze any uncooked ones for another time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now