Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! I need everyone's COOKIES, BISCUITS and small CAKE type recipes please!

(10 Posts)
lunavix Sun 21-May-06 21:12:56

As part of our new organicy/healthy eating type thing, I've agreed to cook all our treats myself.. argh. SO I need a ton of recipes please!

tenalady Sun 21-May-06 21:29:25

watching this one closely

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 21:33:51

i have a cookie recipe, bit pssed tonight, will get it tommorow. its from the side of a pack of doves farm flour, so healthy enough

MrsBadger Sun 21-May-06 21:58:22

These are my most-used small-cake recipes - all are ancestral ie stolen from my mum, hence the imperial weights, gas marks and specifying marg -use butter etc as you like.

Quick Emergency biscuits:
1oz sugar
2oz butter
3oz flour
cream marg & sugar, stir in flour, knead, roll out, cut out, 10min gas 4.

Shortbread:
10oz plain flour
4oz sugar
4oz corflour
8oz butter
melt butter, stir in everything else, press into lined swiss roll tin, 25min reg 3 top of oven

Mincemeat slice:
150g marg
75g soft brown sugar
275g wholemeal flour
110g porridge oats
500g mincemeat
Melt marg & sugar, mix flour & oast in bowl.
Take pan off heat, stir in flour & oats and mix well.
Spoon half into lined 11x7" tin, press down firmly, spread with mincemeat, top with remaining oat mix, press down again.
20min gas 6, cut and cool in tin.

Melting Moments:
4oz marg
4oz sugar
5oz SR flour
1/2 beaten egg
few drops vanilla extract
porridge oats
Cream fat & sugar, beat in egg, add vanilla & flour. Roll into small balls w wet hands and coat in oats. Flatten slightly onto greased baking sheet (they spread a lot). 15-20min gas 4.

Flapjack:
150g marg
75g sugar
3tbsp golden syrup
300g porridge oats
Melt fat, sugar & syrup, stir in oats. Greased 7x7" tin, 20min gas 4.

Chewy Finger:
4oz toffees
2oz marshmallows
4oz marg
1 level tbsp honey
3oz cornflakes
3oz rice crispies
Melt toffees, marshmallows, marg & honey, stir in flakes & crispies, press into greased swiss roll tin & chill

Chocolate Cheat Cookie:
300g broken biscuit bits (from bottom of tin etc)
125g marg
25g sugar
75g drinking choc or 35g cocoa
2-3 tbsp golden syrup
250g cooking choc
Crush biscuits into crumbs (put in freezer bag and hit with roling pin). Melt marge, sugar, drinking choc & syrup in pan then stir in crumbs. Press into greased 8x12" tin and chill. Once set, melt the cooking choc and smear over the top. Chill again.

Easy Brownies:
100g marg
250g sugar
2 eggs
150g flour
50g cocoa powder
drop of vanilla extract
Melt marg, add sugar and beaten eggs. Stir in flour, cocoa & vanilla. Pour into greased lined 7x7" tin. 30-40min gas 4.

Have fun and good luck - I appreciate that none of these are very organic or even slightly healthy, but at least you'll know what's gone into them!

gigglinggoblin Sun 21-May-06 22:06:43

you need a be-ro book , you do (scroll down)

i felt like a proper mummy when i got my 1st one, be-ro books are the bible of baking!

juicychops Sun 21-May-06 22:22:52

4oz butter
4oz marshmallows
4oz toffies
rice crispies

heat the butter marshmallows and toffies until they are all totally melted then mix in rice crispies. Put in a deep edge container or tray and let it cool. once hard cut up into small pieces. The nicest cake in the world!!!!!!

mrspink27 Sun 21-May-06 22:56:04

2 oat recipes.

150g butter
75g brown sugar
75g golden syrup/black treacle
225g porridge oats
pinch salt
dried fruit optional, i have used prunes, cranberries, raisins apricots mango and every combination!

190C Gas 5. Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan but dont let it boil, stir in the oats and salt. mix thoroughly.
Press mixture into 20cm/8inch round shallow tin and bake for 25 minutes or until gloden brown.
Remove from oven and mark into slices. Leave to cool before removing from tin and leave till cold before cutting.

75g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb
75g brown sugar
75g porridge oats
75g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
Optional handful of (any or all) pumpkin, sunflower,sesame seeds

160c Gas 3. Sift flour and bicarb and add sugar and oats into a bowl. Melt butter and syrup in a saucepan over a low hear and pour into the dry mixture. Form this into a ball and then roll out to 2cm thick and cut into rounds. (sometimes if i cant be bothered I just take a handful roll into a ball and press flat ish!) Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
These burn very easily, you think theyre not cooked so you leave them and then theyve burnt... so beware! Very yummy tho!

JiminyCricket Tue 30-May-06 19:52:35

melt some butter and sugar in a pan.Add a tablespoon of golden syrup. Mix in half flour and half porridge oats (I just guess the amounts, but it needs to end up like a sticky dough), then add chopped hazelnuts and raisins. Press into little balls and then squash into biscuit shape on a baking tray and cook for twelve minutes. Me and dd made them for family christmas pressies with cranberries instead of raisins and got rave reviews. They are really easy and seriously nice. (i think its from annabel Karmel 'easy oat cookies')

Lilymaid Tue 30-May-06 20:26:32

Any cup cakes which have loads of icing on top (plus sweets/chocolate drop/other decoration). Absolutely no point (sales wise) in attempting to be healthy or organic on these so use white sugar/flour etc! You can cut the tops of the cakes off if icing them completely so they are nice and smooth, or make butterfly cakes with butter cream and a good dusting of icing sugar.

TwoIfBySea Tue 30-May-06 21:09:03

These recipes are ones where dts "help" mummy make them. Some actually get in the oven. I've also included a banana bread (and alternates) that can be put into small muffin cases rather than the loaf tin. All of these come from a book I bought for dts2 who loves baking things, its called naturally enough The Baking Book by Jane Bull which you can get from the Book People site for quite a good deal usually. I've made all the recipes so it is worth it!

Tweetie Pies -

150g Butter
100g Soft brown sugar
225g Porridge oats
2 tbsp Honey

plus any of the following or if wanting to add all then 2 tbsp each of - peanuts, sesame seeds, sultanas, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, coconut, chopped nuts.

Preheat oven to Gas mark 5/190c/375f & grease a bun tin. Cream together butter and sugar. Tip in the oats and stir, pour in honey and stir again. Add as many nuts as you want and stir them in. Spoon some mixture and roll into a ball & press them into the bun tin. Bake 10-15 minutes. Use a knife to lift them out the tray and leave to cool, they keep up to 2-3 weeks in an airtight tin it says on the recipe, they never last that long! Makes 18.

Cookie Collection -

150g Plain Flour
50g Caster Sugar
100g Butter

(This makes 24 plain shortbread cookies to add flavour use any of the following - 50g choc chips, 25g cocoa powder, 50g coconut, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 50g raisin, 25g sugar strands, 50g chopped nuts, almond essence plus almonds to stick on top, sweeties to stick on top just before baking.)

Preheat oven Gas 3/170c/325f. Put all ingredients in bowl and rub together until it looks crumbly (add flavour if using). Squeeze together into a ball of dough Wrap in clingfilm and leave in fridge for 30 minutes. Pinch off little lumps of dough and roll into balls the size of ping-pongs. Place balls on a baking sheet leaving room for them to spread and press down with a fork or thumb (decorate with nuts or sweeties if using at this point.) Bake 15-20 minutes and cool on a rack.

Monkey bread -

100g Butter
225g Self-raising flour
100g Soft Brown Sugar
150g Raisins
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp Honey
3 bananas, mashed

Preheat oven Gas 4/180c/350f and grease a loaf tin. Rub together the butter and flour until they are like breadcrumbs. Add sugar and raisins & stir. Add beaten eggs & honey and stir them in. Add bananas & stir. Pour into loaf tin and bake 1 hour. Leave to cool. It is really nice eaten the next day and the day after that too!

You can also fill muffin cases rather than a loaf tin and bake for 15 minutes.

Also instead of banana use - 2 apples peeled and chopped, 125ml milk and 1 tsp cinnamon. Or 1 carrots peeled and grated, grated peel and juice of an orange, 1 tsp mixed spice.

Either make them in the loaf tin or muffin cases. Yummy either way and dts (age 4) love them.

That should get you started lunavix and you can source organic for nearly all the ingredients. I did the same last year and make most of our sweet treats now, it gives dts something to do as well as they love getting stuck in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: