Talk

Advanced search

Bircher muesli

(20 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 13-May-13 21:47:05

I've just done a quick google search but all the recipes suggest ingredients that I don't have at the moment.

Will it be unpleasant with just oats, milk, raisins and blueberries? I have a very sweet tooth but am trying to wean myself off sugar as much as possible.

Do I mix the same quantities as if I were making hot porridge?

Also, would a milk/water mix be a step too far, too soon? grin

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 14-May-13 06:39:06

I remember my mum said you can soak the oats in milk or apple juice - so water would work but it might be a bit tasteless.
But I do think grated apple is a key ingredient - as is natural yogurt.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 14-May-13 07:53:49

Thanks!

Apple juice is off the menu but I did read that grated apple/yogurt were involved. I haven't used either. I only have thick and creamy yogurt and feel that might defeat the point of my attempt at a healthy breakfast smile.

I've just tried what I mixed last night (oats, milk, blueberries and sultanas) and it's surprisingly good! I'll put less milk in for tomorrow and change the sultanas for grated apple. Can the apple go in the night before? Does it turn brown?

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 14-May-13 10:16:46

Apple goes in in the morning - though if you added some lemon juice it shouldn't go brown. Glad to hear it was tasty!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 14-May-13 17:16:28

Ok, thanks. I haven't got any lemon so will put the apple in in the morning.

I'm now trying to decide which combination of ingredients to use:

Oats, milk, apple
Oats, water, yogurt, apple
Oats, water, honey, apple

All have roughly the same calories. The second two have a higher sugar content but might taste yummier confused. Maybe I could try each one over the next three days grin I think I need to get a life or a hobby!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 15-May-13 06:01:13

My vote is for the 2nd one. I think it'd be tastiest and most filling. Getting curious about how it goes...

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 15-May-13 13:56:50

I forgot to make it before bed last night so will try and remember tonight and report back in the morning grin!!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 15-May-13 18:49:27

(10minutes soaking in the morning is actually fine, IME)

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 15-May-13 19:00:46

I did think about making it this morning but was running late and couldn't be arsed blush.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 15-May-13 19:01:42

One more probably stupid question...should I peel the apple first or will it be fine with the skin on?

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 15-May-13 19:15:03

My grandma used to grate the whole thing - core and all! Pips are a bit too much for me but I'd definitely keep the skin on.

coffeeinbed Wed 15-May-13 20:57:53

it keeps for a week in the fridge, so make a big batch.
Use fresh berries every morning though.
Love muesli. Properly made.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 15-May-13 21:45:34

Ooh, that sounds like a good solution...this is my third trip to the kitchen to make it and I keep getting distracted!

What do you put in yours?

coffeeinbed Wed 15-May-13 21:55:19

Out of whatever box I have - but must be soaked overnight in yogurt and grated apple.
Berries go in in the morning - if I have any.
That's it.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 15-May-13 21:58:13

I meant what ingredients do you put in smile. Would you put the yogurt and apple in for the whole week?

coffeeinbed Wed 15-May-13 22:01:48

yogurt - yes.
apple - sometimes.
You're supposed to do it fresh every morning, but I can't be bothered.
Sometimes it does not last a whole week, tbh.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 15-May-13 22:05:37

Ah, ok...I think I need to try out a few different combinations and find one i like before I go for a week's worth grin

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 16-May-13 09:28:37

Hmm, wasn't keen on this morning's concoction. I'll try one of the othe options for tomorrow smile

UtterflyButterfly Thu 16-May-13 12:04:52

I soak my oats in water and lemon juice, then add grated apple and yogurt in the morning. Then I put out seeds, nuts, dried and fresh fruit, honey, and DH and I customise our own. Yummy!

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 16:07:24

You can go half/half with milk & water ... Best of both worlds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now