Talk

Advanced search

Easy healthy snack foods

(7 Posts)
GingerPCatt Mon 13-May-13 18:57:55

DS is not a great eater and tends to snack rather than have meals (he's 2). He was having nearly a banana a day but now he's gone off them. He's not big on apples or oranges. He likes cereal and cereal bars and flapjacks but without dried fruit.
I need inspiration for healthy quick to prepare and preferably cheap snacks. Any ideas?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-May-13 22:35:39

Have you tried cutting out the snacks altogether and just giving the meals? Another alternative could be to offer 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. Takes a bit more planning but can have some success.

Anyway, there are some good snack ideas here and see if your library has got a copy of My Child Won't Eat and finger food for babies and toddlers.

Mine also loved cheese straws and they keep in an airtight container for a bit, great with a bit of fruit smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-May-13 22:36:50

Forgot to ask, which milk is he on and how much does he have each day?

GingerPCatt Tue 14-May-13 07:00:12

I've got the book and its helped me a lot. DS used to not eat anything, so eating anything is an improvement. smile

He has a bottle of formula before bed and a beaker (4-5) oz of cows milk twice a day plus squash or juice at dinner. He only asks for food if he sees I'm eating something and he gets so grumpy if he's hungry, but I'd he's already at that stage it's hard to get any food into him. I've been giving him too much sweet stuff because I know he'll eat it.
So I need some healthy snack alternatives. Thanks!

GingerPCatt Tue 14-May-13 07:11:58

Oooh those cheese straws look yummy. Will give them ago.

Mrdarcyswife Tue 14-May-13 11:14:30

Just made the cheese straws. They are dee-licous (as my ds would say)!
Thanks for posting, just hope there are some left for when he gets back from school.

Op, I'm sorry I can't help much with advice, as my ds has always been an ok eater

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 14-May-13 12:23:48

Was going to make some this afternoon but no cheese in the house and DS has been sent home from school sad

I think he's having too much milk. I know its tempting to give it when they are fussy eaters but milk will suppress his appetite. Our dd ate much more once we stopped the milk before bed. It was tough for about 3 nights but we stood firm and after the 3 days she ate much more in the evenings. It was as if she knew she didn't have to eat because something yummy would be there later anyway.

If you can't bare to drop the evening bottle try cutting it down slowly say an ounce a week or take out one of the beakers of milk in the day. No he's 2 bottles aren't recommended anyway and there is no minimum recommendation for milk past 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now