Talk

Advanced search

I have a beef brisket joint and a slow cooker...

(10 Posts)
Tournament Mon 13-May-13 11:30:40

and I've been overthinking/researching it and am thoroughly confused.

What is the definitive thing to do with it and do I really need to brown the meat and veg first?

UnChartered Mon 13-May-13 11:36:09

brisket, onions, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, perhaps a stock cube and a half a bottle of red wine

no need to brown anything

UnChartered Mon 13-May-13 11:40:31

oh, and a few cloves of garlic

if you don't want to use red wine, water will be fine

Tournament Mon 13-May-13 11:42:32

That's perfect Unchartered. How long? High/low?

Imflabulous Mon 13-May-13 11:42:43

Bung in the sc, no Browning and voila meltingly soft beef.

UnChartered Mon 13-May-13 11:45:23

dunno about the timing, my s-c has one setting - on!

as long as it's well tied i'd give it about 2 hrs per kg on low

don't let it cool in the cooking liquor though, take it out and wrap firmly in tin foil to rest about 20 mins to make it easier to carve

msrisotto Mon 13-May-13 11:48:21

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/Brisket%20of%20beef%20with%20delicious%20gravy/1220

This is my favourite ever brisket recipe. Not specially for slow cookers so you'd have to adjust the liquids but highly recommended! You don't have to brown it.

silverangel Mon 13-May-13 13:02:46

I put it in the slow cooker with no liquid and don't brown it and rub it with a packet mix of chilli or fajita seasoning. Add a tin of canellini / kidney beans when its done and you have delicious beef for chilli or wraps. I cook it for ages so it is pulled pork consistency - you wouldn't be able to carve it. the let overs make a really good ragu for pasta too.

Tournament Mon 13-May-13 18:09:56

That sounds lovely angel. I don't have a packet mix, but I have a decent range of dried herbs and spices. what do you reckon I need to use?

silverangel Mon 13-May-13 21:11:40

Ooh, chilli powder if you like it hot, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, ground coriander, black pepper, salt - any or all of the above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now