Talk

Advanced search

If you had a ten pound budget

(16 Posts)
SummersComing1111 Mon 13-May-13 08:48:08

If you only had ten pounds to do a food shop for you and one toddler, what would you get?? And what meals could you make?

Shybairns Mon 13-May-13 08:55:01

Not sure but I think I could buy ingredients for a bolognaise that would be enough for 3 meals. Could bulk up mince with a tin of baked beans.
£3 on mince, onion, tin of chopped toms, garlic, stock cube, oregano and basil if in cupboard?
Or ofcourse by Dolmio jar for a pound at Asda and mince and pasta.

Don't know really.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 13-May-13 09:05:54

I had this last week I had £12 for 3 days, we had jacket tatos
Stir fry and noodles, ham egg and wedges. You could do a cottage pie to do 2 days?

Trill Mon 13-May-13 09:07:36

Depends how long it had to last and what I already had in the house. I'd do a big audit of all the food in the cupboards and fridge and freezer before I set out.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Mon 13-May-13 09:09:33

What Trill said. I'd do a check of all the cupboards and see what I had and what I could make first before I left the house.

Pootles2010 Mon 13-May-13 09:12:24

Depends massively what you've got. Agree with Trills - big list of everything you've got, meal plan as much as you can, then work out what you need.

qazxc Mon 13-May-13 09:16:29

take inspiration from this. agirlcalledjack.com/category/below-the-line-budget-recipes/
have a look at what you have in freezer and cupboards.

hurricanewyn Mon 13-May-13 09:21:13

I'd go light on meat for a few days.

Bean chilli. Make with 2 tins of value tomatoes, value beans & kidney beans. Value white rice. Leftovers on toast for lunch or with a jacket potato.

Tuna Rosti (tin of tun & a couple of potatoes) served with a fried egg & beans.

Pasta & Tomato sauce. Mix with sweetcorn & top with cheese for a pasta bake.

Veggie burgers made with some cooked red lentils & a small packet of value stuffing. With mash & beans, or homemade wedges.

Sweetcorn fritters - frozen sweetcorn mixed with a packet of value pancake batter.

Pasta pesto.

I'll post more if I think of anything else.

Accidentallyquirky Mon 13-May-13 09:36:16

Depends how long to last but my cheap week shop generally consists:
Bread
Milk
Chopped tomatoes
Frozen quorn
Pasta
Ham
Soup
Bananas
Apples
And we eat whatever's left the previous week so if theres veg I make a casserole or soup.
I always have a few basics in like sweetcorn peas chicken nuggets potatoes pasta bake sauce so I have a few back up basic meals

There's me dh and dd who's 3 and our cheap week is £10-15 and then we have 2 weeks of £35 and dhs pay day we do our big shop where we get washing powder cleaning stuff shampoo ect and that's around £50

msrisotto Mon 13-May-13 09:36:55

Mac and cheese

sashh Mon 13-May-13 09:38:32

Is this for a week?

Value bread, it tastes crap unless you toast it so breakfast every day would be toast, possibly with baked beans or an egg.

Value baked beans, beans on toast for at least one meal.

I make a sausage casserole which is basically a packet of sausages, passatta and tinned broad beans seasoned and put in the slow cooker. You could leave out the meat and use 2 or 3 tins of various beans/chickpeas. That should do at least 2 meals, if you have a freezer cook it at the start of the week and freeze half for later.

I'd also get flour, milk and eggs to make Yorkshire puddings or pancakes. You can also make the same batter and add tinned (drained) sweetcorn to make fritters.

But check what you already have, plan all your meals and only buy what you need to.

Check out value ranges and reduced price items.

ArbitraryUsername Mon 13-May-13 09:46:20

Audit of cupboards most definitely.

I wouldn't buy any meat. For protein I'd buy:
lentils (£1.19 a bag)
cheap tinned chickpeas (at 37peach) from the ethnic foods bit in the supermarket (they're half the price of the ones in the beans and pulses aisle).

To make this in to meals, I'd want some:
tinned tomatoes (the basics ones are 31p).
basics onions (95p),
basics carrots (69p),
basics pasta shapes (39p),
basics rice (40p),
basics bread (50p a loaf),
6 pints of milk (£1.89) and
basics cornflakes (30p).

If need be I'd buy some basics stock cubes (12p).

Hopefully I'd have some of that kind of stuff in the cupboard though (rice, pasta, cereal, lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas) so I could get more veg. And I'd hopefully have oil, butter, spices etc in too.

We'd eat cereal and milk for breakfast.
I'd make lentil bolognaise (lentils, tinned tomato, onion, carrot, pasta).
Chickpea and lentil dhal (chickpeas, lentils, onion, tinned tomato, rice plus stock and spices from the cupboard) to do 2 meals.
Lentil soup with bread (lentils, onion, carrots, stock)
French onion soup with bread (onions, stock, herbs from cupboard/garden).
Chickpeas in tomato sauce with pasta.

I'd make the first 3 last several meals too.

Branleuse Mon 13-May-13 09:57:20

big bag of pasta, tins of tomatoes, cheap butter spread. cheap bread, potatoes, carrots stock cubes, onions, lentils. powdered milk

stressedHEmum Mon 13-May-13 10:41:21

Total: £9.93

CHECKOUT

Savings: £0.00
Minimum order is £25.00

2 ASDA Smart... Fruit Oranges £0.46

2 ASDA Smart... Rice Pudding £0.30

1 Whitworths Pulses £0.58

1 Asda ASDA SP Squash £0.42

1 ASDA Smart... SP JAM/STRAWBER £0.29

1 ASDA Smart... Mixed Vegetable £0.75

2 ASDA Smart... Brown Bread £0.94

1 ASDA Smart... SP Eggs 6pk £0.87

1 ASDA Cheese £1.27

1 ASDA Smart... Sprice butter £0.98

1 ASDA Smart... SP onions £0.98

1 ASDA Carrot/swede £0.50

1 ASDA Smart... Passata £0.29

5 ASDA Smart... SP mushy peas £0.60

1 ASDA Smart... Long Grain Rice £0.40

2 ASDA Smart... Spaghetti £0.38

2 ASDA Smart... Baked Beans £0.50

Assuming you already have some stock cubes, curry powder, salt, pepper, vinegar and some cooking oil. There's no milk, but there is cheese for calcium and protein. The butter is as cheap as it gets in my Asda - Aldi do a cheaper spread.

Breakfasts - toast and jam 5 days, beans on toast 1 day, cheese on toast 1 day

Lunches -
vegetable rice salad - you can dress with oil and vinegar, cook rice in a stock cube if you have it - 2 days.
Pasta salad with mixed veg and onion, dressed with oil and vinegar - 1 day.
Eggy pasta - half a packet of pasta, 2 onions, 2 beaten eggs - 1 day
veg omelette sandwiches - 2 eggs, onion, mixed veg, grated cheese - 1 day
toast and mushy peas - 1 day
beans on toast topped with a little grated cheese - 1 day

Dinners -
pasta with caramelises onions topped with a little grated cheese - 1 day
pasta with tomato sauce and cheese - 1 day
simple pea soup - use 2 tins mushy peas, the carrot and swede and a couple of onions. Thin to soup using stock cubes and water. Eat with bread, have rice pudding and 1/2 a tin of fruit after. Soup will thicken over night and can be thinned again for the next day. - 2 days
simple pea dahl - 3 tins mushy peas, onions, wee bit mixed veg, curry powder. Serve with rice - 2 days
egg rice with veg - rice, couple of onions, and left over mixed veg, 2 beaten eggs.

snacks - jam sandwiches, other tin of fruit.

it's pretty boring and not sustainable but will do in an emergency.

SummersComing1111 Mon 13-May-13 18:43:01

Thanks everyone got alot of ideas now grin

stressedHEmum Tue 14-May-13 11:08:15

I have several other shopping lists/meal plans that all come in at or around £10 if you would like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now