Talk

Advanced search

Help me out - veggie recipes needed!

(10 Posts)
Bakingtins Sun 12-May-13 17:30:04

We are hosting a student for 6 weeks who turns out to be vegetarian. I am going to exhaust my repertoire of veggie dishes on about day 2. I need some ideas please, preferably that can also have a non-veggie option to satisfy my carnivorous husband. Any ideas appreciated!

Bouncey Sun 12-May-13 17:33:14

Can I suggest the Busy Mum's vegetarian cookbook by Mary Gwynn? It's a lovely book, with a range of excellent veggie recipes, and ideas for how these can be adapted for meat eaters as well. She writes the recipes for waitrose I think, and has a facebook page with some sample recipes if you want to have a look.

Bakingtins Sun 12-May-13 19:06:11

Thanks Bouncey, I'll check it out.

ivykaty44 Sun 12-May-13 19:16:50

this is tea tonight - it is cookingATM

I posted this earlier on another thread and will be trying it this week

I make shepards pie but instead of mince meat I use a tin of green lentils, I cook off onion and small diced carrots, add the lentils, a teaspoon of cinnamon and some parsley and add a dessert spoon of flour then 200ml of stock and simmer for 20 minutes - use as normal with mash on top - if you have sweet potato mix it with normal for a change.

this is lovely serve with a big green salad and a tomato and mozzerello salad or baked beans

ivykaty44 Sun 12-May-13 19:18:52

this is an excellent curry and easy to make, stores well in the fridge for a few days so you can cook ahead

DewDr0p Sun 12-May-13 19:20:43

Have you seen this thread OP? Lots of lovely ideas.

Bakingtins Sun 12-May-13 19:35:27

Thank you ladies!

NumTumDeDum Sun 12-May-13 19:42:48

Just stock up on quorn if you haven't got time to be too adventurous. The mince and chicken style pieces are particularly good. Then you can cook what you normally cook.

SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 19:49:06

I have a yummy recipe for vegan chilli if you would like it. Its uses beans and lentils instead of mince, and we love it even though we are not even vegetarians here.

Rice and veggie stir fry - add cashews, tofu or omelette strips for the veggie and meat for the carnivore

Chickpea curry or dhal with rice; can serve meaty samosas on the side for the carnivore

Cheese and leek pie (with sausages for the carnivore)

Greek feta and spinach pie

Sausage and mash (Quorn sausages for the veggie) and savoy (veggies can have Bisto)

Puff pastry tart with vege (cooked mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, asparagus, whatever) with chorizo for the carnivore

Egg, chips and peas (with some gammon for the carnivore)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now