Talk

Advanced search

Pret addiction- help!

(6 Posts)
mervynmouse Sun 28-Apr-13 19:12:34

I am spending far too much money on Pret lunches and breakfasts every day (approx 4.50) and need ideas for cheaper home made but still delicious alternatives. In the past I have found it difficult to still keep within a budget, avoiding stuff going off in the fridge or just generally being utterly repulsed by my lunch (soggy sardine sandwich anyone?).

Is it even possible to make comparable lunches cheaply when they are buying bulk ingredients?

Xiaoxiong Sun 28-Apr-13 22:48:00

What are you eating in particular in Pret?

I replaced my morning Pret high-fibre muffin habit with some homemade breakfast muffins which were just as good and about 2/3 of the calories (score).

Lunches were more difficult. I mostly ended up taking leftovers from the night before in a lunchbox.

mervynmouse Sun 28-Apr-13 23:51:21

half an egg and cress sandwich for breakfast so 80p a day on that then a tuna sandwich or one of the cheaper wraps for lunch. I am not convinced I could make it more cheaply- DS has school dinners so its not like I would buy for 2. Maybe I am just telling myself this because I love it so much!

21mealspluscake Mon 29-Apr-13 10:37:59

I find it simplest to make something in the evening that will also be good for lunch next day - so last week was pasta with spinach and blue cheese sauce, roasted chicken pieces with salad, prawn and broccoli stir fry with rice and grilled sausages with roasted peppers. It's much cheaper - and much nicer - than the sandwich shop! Also you could keep a box of miso soup in your desk - they are really healthy and not expensive. Do this every day and then you'll have £20 at the end of every week to spend on something more fab than tuna sandwiches!

eslteacher Mon 29-Apr-13 21:42:35

I go for bread rolls rather than sandwiches, I think they're more filling and they go less soggy. You can also freeze them and just defrost the night before to use as and when. I make fillings of (variously) cheese, ham/salami, tuna mayo and whatever bits of salad I have in the fridge. But like Xiaoxing I also end up taking in a lot of leftovers: I always try to cook a bit extra when I do pasta/curry/risotto/stew type things, which transport really easily in tupperware and heat up in a microwave.

mervynmouse Tue 30-Apr-13 19:15:11

thanks for your tips smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now