Talk

Advanced search

Chinese style pork belly

(8 Posts)
WildThongsHeartString Sun 28-Apr-13 12:03:46

I bought some beautiful looking pork belly ribs yesterday at Costco butcher. The packs were being snapped up by some Chinese ladies so got me thinking. If I take the top thick layer of fat off and rub the meat with Chinese five spice, should I roast or slow cooker the ribs to get them all melty and succulent like the ones from Chinese restaurants? I'm thinking maybe slow cooker then uncovered in a hot oven with some honey at the end. Would it work, never cooked them before?

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 28-Apr-13 12:19:35

Has it got the skin on? If so you could make crispy skin pork. Yum! Anyway all the chinese recipes I've got would ask you to boil it first for a couple of minutes before marinating and cooking. I would also cook at low heat rather than high. So boil a couple of minutes, rinse with cold water, put in five spice, honey, ginger, garlic, soya sauce, ketchup (secret ingredient grin) and roast in the oven. (Don't have a slow cooker myself so cannot advice!)

WildThongsHeartString Sun 28-Apr-13 12:24:43

Sounds good up to a point will try that!
Unfortunately will have to adapt slightly as my family will not eat skin or fat at all. -- don't know what they're missing--

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 28-Apr-13 12:25:36

Keep the skin and do crackling all for yourself!

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 28-Apr-13 12:25:59

Now you've made me hungry...

WildThongsHeartString Sun 28-Apr-13 12:26:41

grin

moondog Sun 28-Apr-13 12:28:41

Separate them, and if you have a chopper, cut them into shorter lengths. Then marinade in chilli, garlic, soy, honey and/or sweet chilli sauce. Tomato sauce will do at a push. You want to get that sweet/savoury thing going on.
Grill or cook in the oven, turning and basting frequently.
Serve with steamed rice and swtir fried greens.

WildThongsHeartString Sun 28-Apr-13 12:49:58

Moondog, mmmmm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now