Talk

Advanced search

Nigella's Guinness cake.

(10 Posts)
TastesLikePanda Sat 27-Apr-13 13:06:42

So I've decided to make this tomorrow but I don't have a big enough cake tin... Would it work as a sandwich cake or should i bite the bullet and buy a bigger tin?

The other option is to make cupcakes so that is plan c but I love the visual image of cutting into a huge cake!

Novia Sat 27-Apr-13 13:19:42

Hey - my friend made this recently and it was amazing! I have to say that I think you run the risk of having a dry cake if you split the mixture though, as much of the appeal is in the denseness of the cake!

I would love it if you could spare the time to please share the recipe and let us know how it goes?! grin

fallenempires Sat 27-Apr-13 13:24:26

I'd be inclined to buy the bigger tin tbh.It's quite a dense cake and sandwich tins are designed for lighter bakes such as victoria sponge.
It's a lovely cake you won't be disappointed!

TastesLikePanda Sat 27-Apr-13 13:26:24

Thanks! Looks like ill have to pop to the shops then, to buy a bigger tin and some new shoes since I'm out wink

TastesLikePanda Sat 27-Apr-13 13:27:30

Nokia , I just googled tbh, so it's a wee gamble for me. But. Have discovered a love of baking that my friends are keen to exploitencourage!

It does work in 2 smaller tins, but I tend to just make two smaller cakes when I do that rather than sandwiching them together.

milkwasabadchoice Sat 27-Apr-13 18:51:46

No advice but pmg this cake is delicious!

TastesLikePanda Wed 01-May-13 00:11:30

Omg -this cake is sooooo good! So rich and moist!
I made one big cake that I topped with plain whipped cream and a batch of cupcakes that I would have topped with cream but most people wanted them plain...

Such a great cake!

TheRealFellatio Fri 03-May-13 13:57:49

I made that this week too and had the same problem. I put it in a deepish tin that was only slightly too small, and the mixture just about all fitted in, and it rose up tons in cooking. I was delighted with the cake itself, but I felt that the cream cheese icing/frosting tasted a little bit too plain and could have done with a bit more sugar and perhaps a bit of lemon juice, which you usually get in cream cheese frosting.

I had to cook mine for about 25 mins longer and turn the oven down to 170 from 180 as I guess the smaller tin meant it was a bit deeper in the centre and took a longer time to firm up. It was still beautifully moist in the middle though.

TheRealFellatio Fri 03-May-13 13:58:27

That should have said 15 mins longer, not 25 confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now