Talk

Advanced search

BBQ food - give me some ideas please

(15 Posts)
sandyballs Wed 17-May-06 12:23:45

I'm being optimistic and planning a BBQ for the bank holiday weekend and I wanted to do something a bit different for a change, other than the usual burgers, sausages etc. Salad ideas and other things would be appreciated too, and there will be one vegetarian. Thanks

LucyJones Wed 17-May-06 12:24:46

ooh me too, hopefully the weather will be nice. Will watch this thread with interest

NotActuallyAMum Wed 17-May-06 12:31:29

We had one last weekend, I got some minted lamb chops, kebabs (various varieties) on skewers and bbq chicken from Morrisons - they were all gorgeous. I could eat some right now....

For the vegetarian, erm, you could put a jacket spud in the oven - can't think of any bbq food that a veggy could eat. Unless they like quorn sausages and burgers?

scotlou Wed 17-May-06 12:33:11

My barbeque staples are:
pork kebabs (pork fillet marinated in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chinese wine, sesame oil) - cut fillet into chunks, marinate and then put on skewars with pieces of pepper, onion and cherry tomatoes.
chicken satay - chichen fillet cut into strips an marinated in a mixtsure of peanut butter and chilli sauce - and a bit of seasme oil. Mix up a sililar sauce diluted with a bit of water to dip them in after coking
tiger prawns marinated in chilli sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, honey and sesame oil

I don't really "do" salads - apart from a green salad and a tomato one - beef toms sliced up and drizzled with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh basil. Do in advance to teh juices all mix together.

ProfYaffle Wed 17-May-06 12:33:40

I'm veggie, my bbq's normally involve:

Halloumi cheese, if you've never had it it's lovely bbq'd. doesn't melt and has quite a firm texture. I cut it into slabs, drizzle with olive oil and bbq briefly.

Corn on the cob, tuna steaks, field mushrooms wrapped in foil with garlic and white wine. Plus a load of Quorn/linda McCartney faux meat products.

BettySpaghetti Wed 17-May-06 12:36:49

Another vote for halloumi here -its lovely!

We dice it and put it on skewers with marinaded peppers, mushrooms, onions etc for veggie kebabs.

mythumbelinas Wed 17-May-06 12:44:40

chicken wings are a hot fav for bbqs. You can marinate them beforehand, but i refer them plain .. and can drizzle some honey over after
yep, tiger prawns too

corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, etc wrap well in kitchen foil and place with the coal .. move at times, then when cooked, eat!
huge mushrooms in bbq, then bit of salt, pepper and put slice of cheese on top to melt
boil some baby potatoes, drain, cool then add mayo and chopped chives, refrigerate (i prefer overnight) .. yummy

sandyballs Wed 17-May-06 12:51:05

Mmmmmm, some great ideas here. Thanks. keep them coming. Making me hungry.

mythumbelinas Wed 17-May-06 13:04:51

i love ceasar salads ..
all rounder salad that kids love is simply slice cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, add to salad bowl with large can of sweetcorn .. add cooked pasta fusilli or spirali .. leave plain to drizzle preferred dressing or good with salad cream

sparkler1 Wed 17-May-06 13:11:59

I'm not vegetarian but love Quorn sausages. Could you cut them in half and put on skewer with the usual kebab bits and pieces?

melrose Wed 17-May-06 13:15:06

Potato kebabs:

Boil smallish new potatoes till almost cooked,

Toss in mix of 1tbsp soy sauce, 1Tbsp runny honey, 1tbsp wholegrain mustard (can do all this in advance)

Thread on skewers and bbq for 5-10 mins

V yummy and become a bbq staple in our house

WishICouldGiveUpWork Wed 17-May-06 16:24:06

Halloumi-best barbecue food around!

I do asparagus wrapped in parma ham (if feeling flush)-Blanch the asparagus,cool,wrap in the parma ham and then put on the barbecue until ham goes all crispy mmmmm

WishICouldGiveUpWork Wed 17-May-06 16:25:24

oh and baby squid on skewers-frozen squid from Tesco/Waitrose isn't expensive and only needs cooking very biefly.

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Wed 17-May-06 16:27:52

agree with melrose potato kebabs

veggi kebabs - mushrooms,onions,peppers,baby tomatoes

I always pre-cook my chicken before BBq'ing it - but im a stickler for properly cooked food!

Pruni Wed 17-May-06 16:35:54

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: