Talk

Advanced search

Help! Guests for Sunday lunch

(13 Posts)
Impatientwino Fri 26-Apr-13 16:32:30

I have guests coming for a chilled Sunday lunch this weekend.

They have a 3 yr old and an 8 week old baby and we have a 9 month old baby so I think sitting around the table is going to be difficult! Our table only seats 4 really too.

Any ideas of something easy to prepare that we can all help ourselves too and eat off our laps whilst chatting and looking after babies.

3 year old will eat with us, 8 week old no food obviously and our baby will have eaten already as its a late lunch.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

BlingLoving Fri 26-Apr-13 17:15:48

I always think in these situations you have to either go for something like a good stew or curry or casserole - easily spooned into shallow bowls, eaten with a fork and delicious....

.... or you have to go for cold/warm platter type stuff - cold roast chicken and salad and quiches etc.

Any "proper" food will just get awkward to eat and will probably land up being cold by the time you sit down.

NorthernLurker Fri 26-Apr-13 17:23:47

You could do say a joint of pork and some stuffing. Bring to the table with lovely fresh rolls and salad and everybody has a hot pork sandwich?

CaptainSweatPants Fri 26-Apr-13 17:25:01

It's still wintery enough for jacket potatoes chicken legs salad nice bread etc

forevergreek Fri 26-Apr-13 17:44:20

I would say cold cuts ( can you roast something the night before?) maybe some beef?

With a potato salad, pasta salad and nice bread. ( can also make pasta and potatoe salad night before)
Plus regular salad. Another bowl with just cucumber/ carrot/ tomato that 3 year own might prefer.

Means on the day it's just some salad bits to make up. Easy i case your baby doesn't give you much time on the day. Also as cold and picky if they need to feed baby/ change/ toddler needs toilet etc then nothing is going cold and can eat when ready.
It's also pretty much finger food so 3 year old can eat with fingers on floor/ at coffee table without too much mess if they want.

Impatientwino Fri 26-Apr-13 17:56:03

Yum! Thank you for suggestions - apart from anything else I am very hungry now!

I did wonder about doing some slow roasted pork and some nice apple sauce but was wondering what to serve it with that was simple to eat on your laps!

I also thought about doing some jackets with some fillings in bowls that we can just dig into or some roast chicken with salad and wedges or something..

Ok, now really hungry!

Impatientwino Fri 26-Apr-13 17:57:54

Ooh potato salad yes good idea - haven't made it for ages and its nice and simple

gerbilsarefun Fri 26-Apr-13 18:00:00

I would second the buffet idea, very relaxed and can be eaten with one hand. Roast meat sandwiches/rolls sounds lovely, with salad, jacket potatoes possibly, btw I'm coming too!!

sashh Sat 27-Apr-13 08:02:02

Soup and sandwiches.

Use a sc to keep the soup warm, people can drink it from a mug then just add a selection of sandwiches.

Geordieminx Sat 27-Apr-13 08:07:31

Slow roasted pork
Apple sauce
Coleslaw
Roast potatoes
Crust bread/soft rolls
Salad bowl

Hmmmm starving now.

GettingObsessive Sat 27-Apr-13 08:12:17

Jacket potatoes are not, to my mind at least, one handed food. Maybe I'm just cack handed with a jacket, but always think of rice, pasta etc

What about a Moroccan dish? May be too spicy for some tastes? Or a paella would be lovely and a nod to summery weather?

Impatientwino Sat 27-Apr-13 14:33:29

Thanks all. Have gone for

Slow roasted pork and crackling
Apple sauce
Crusty rolls
Salad
Coleslaw
Mini beetroots
Waldorf salad
posh oven chips too lazy to peel potatoes tomorrow

So very close geordieminx!

I'm going to make an apple strudel and have bought some nice vanilla ice cream

Geordieminx Sat 27-Apr-13 22:13:19

Do I get a invite prize?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now