Talk

Advanced search

b*gger - no butter - can i make a roux sauce w lurpak spreadable?

(17 Posts)
Tutter Tue 16-May-06 20:13:37

anyone?

ComeOVeneer Tue 16-May-06 20:15:28

Yes I often do it if I've run out of "block" butter, it works fine.

oxocube Tue 16-May-06 20:19:57

no problem. I do this often and works

Enid Tue 16-May-06 20:22:36

yes

needs a bit more lfour

Tutter Tue 16-May-06 20:25:59

thanks all. off i go to make me sauce. wish me luck and no lumps please

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Tue 16-May-06 20:42:24

you can also do one with oil. Olive oil is nicest but any would do

apronstrings Tue 16-May-06 20:44:41

I always make ours with oil - works fine - i do delias all in together method and whisk like crazy!

sugarfree Tue 16-May-06 20:46:22

Lurpack spreadable is butter but with a bit of oil added.

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Tue 16-May-06 20:52:05

I don;t think lurpak spreadable is butter with oil added - I think it has a bit of water added - which means that if you like to put a knob of butter into melted chocolate you mustn't put lurpak spreadable in - it makes the chocolate go dry and lumpy. I found this out to my great expense doing dd's birthday cake the night before dd's birthday party. I didn;t know what I'd done wrong so I did it again! it was only after a phone call to good old mum that she explained.

ComeOVeneer Tue 16-May-06 20:54:47

Just checked the ingredients - it is butter and vegetable oil .

GeorginaA Tue 16-May-06 20:56:55

Yes I always do - never buy block butter.

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Tue 16-May-06 20:57:18

you mean my mother is wrong about something culinary. how can this be? but take it from me it still ruins melted chocolate

sugarfree Tue 16-May-06 21:02:05

Sometimes if you melt chocolate too quickly it will seize.I hate when that happens,nothing you can do to rescue it either.

sugarfree Tue 16-May-06 21:04:25

(and I always use spreadable because I forget to buy block for baking and it's never caused a problem with chocolate.
Melting it in the microwave however always results in tears before bedtime so I always do it over a pan of boiling water with the hob switched off now.)

TicTacsMum Tue 16-May-06 21:06:23

Lurpak light has water in it but normal lurpack if perfectly fine

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Tue 16-May-06 23:14:03

the mysteries of lurpak and chocolate. My mum swears its lurpak spreadable that's to blame. I never do it in the microwave, always over a pan of hot water and it did it twice. never knew it was called seizing. It all worked out well in the end. dd had decreed a mermaid cake so "seized" chocolate made a great looking stone for mermaid to sit on

marthamoo Tue 16-May-06 23:18:26

Course you can, I don't buy block butter these days (well, only at Christmas).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: