Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rice cooker or just use microwave?

(45 Posts)
multitask Mon 22-Apr-13 13:12:26

I've always had great success making rice in the microwave but lately I am always needing the microwave while the rice is cooking. Do you have a rice cooker and if so was it worth the money? What model? Does it just sit in the back of your cupboard or do you love it? Have you converted from microwave to rice cooker or is there really no difference? Thanks everyone smile

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 29-Apr-17 23:27:38

That's what I do, lots of boiling water, add Basmati rice to the pan, boil for 10 mins, drain. No boiling over, no burning.

Hamish2009 Sat 29-Apr-17 23:19:13

Do not buy a rice cooker! I learned "method 1" from a Chinese friend. This is it - put a big pot of water on to boil. When boiling add the rice (it doesn't matter how much rice as long as the pot is big enough to accommodate 4 times as much water as rice). The rice is white (brown/wild rice will take longer). Boil rapidly for 10 minutes. NO longer. Drain. Put in serving bowl and keep warm. That's it. Perfect rice every time. I have been doing method 1 for years and it has never failed.

VeganCow Fri 21-Apr-17 13:36:16

I use this. I put 300g of rice in, then 640g of water, then 12 minutes in micro, perfect rice. All water absorbed and lovely and fluffy.
Microwave Rice cooker

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Wed 12-Apr-17 15:54:35

I like my rice cooker v much. I didn't know I wanted one til I rented a flat that had one, then really missed it when we moved away. It's great that you can just bung it in, it'll do its thing and then keep the rice warm til you need it, so you can concentrate on the stir fry/MN/children (in that order)

usefultoken Wed 29-Mar-17 06:32:08

I had an ancient try rice cooker that made splendid rice, but it was really past it so with much excitement I bought a new one from aldi which is also a steamer. The rice sticks together and forms a yellow crust at the bottom confused has anyone got the same obe?

Obviouspretzel Wed 29-Mar-17 06:19:53

The steaming method described earlier (2:1 water to rice, boil till pitted, lid on and steam till cooked) works perfectly every time but will not work for brown rice.

Brown rice takes much longer to cook and if you use this method, it will still be rock hard. This longer cooking time might be why you have experienced boiling over. For brown rice, I personally boil it in lots of water like pasta and drain when done, but I'd never do that with white basmati, always use the steaming method.

hellokittymania Tue 21-Mar-17 20:04:05

It's always hit and miss when I try and cook rice on the stove. I have a slow cooker with a rice option, so I usually do that and it turns out fine. I have never tried the microwave.

MistressMolecules Tue 21-Mar-17 20:00:37

I always make a mess when making rice on the stove top, boils over with starch-y water everywhere. I started making it in my instant pot (rice function), perfect and so not messy!

TwentyCups Tue 21-Mar-17 19:55:21

I am so bad at cooking rice that I serve most of my curries and chilles with cooked quinona/bulgar wheat and cracked soya (buy it mixed and dried from Morrisons - dead cheap). People often comment what a nice change it makes. Little do they know it's because I can't actually cook rice blush

barabra16 Tue 21-Mar-17 19:24:50

I prefer the Karmin professional rice cooker :-)

multitaskmama Mon 20-May-13 11:18:03

I always do it on the stove.
Remember to wash thoroughly before cooking to remove starch.
Boil with lots of water and a little salt, drain when almost done.
Then leave on stove for 2 mins on lowest heat for any remaining water to evaporate. No need to measure water quantities.
Also long grain basmati rice comes up really nice and fluffy

Cooking rice

DownyEmerald Thu 02-May-13 21:22:55

My partner has had his rice cooker longer than he's had me - so must be 20 odd years old and its still going well. And we eat a lot of rice!

multitaskmama Thu 25-Apr-13 23:37:36

You can't go wrong with this method for cooking basmati rice:
Boiled Basmatic Rice

I will try the microwave methods mentioned above smile

tigerlilygrr Thu 25-Apr-13 10:45:22

Hi pregnantpause!

OP, once you've tried a decent rice cooker, you can't go back! I used to live in Japan and I am a total convert now, to the point where I schlepped to a distant suburb of Tokyo to find a uk compatible model I could bring home. None of my Asian friends can cook rice without them. And they're so good if you have kids as the rice stays good for UP TO FIVE DAYS. Although my limit is 24 hours really!

samuelwhiskers Wed 24-Apr-13 10:56:51

I've learnt a full proof way to cook rice without rice cooker or microwave, just on the stove in a non stick saucepan with lid. First rince the rice (preferably Basmati) until clear, takes about three times with lots of water in the saucepan, if you are using approx a mug full of rice, then leave enough water to cover the rice up to the first little joint of your index finger (can be approximate!). Then boil the rice until the there is only a bit of water left in the bottom. Put on lid, turn down cooker to as low as it goes, leave for half an hour - no peeping or stirring. Perfect rice every time.
I have thrown my rice cooker out as just cluttered the shelf.

rushingrachel Wed 24-Apr-13 10:40:22

I bought a rice cooker when DS was small on a recommendation from a friend who said it would free me up. I love it. Very trouble free and quick. And I cook couscous in it which also comes out perfect. And it washes in seconds. Never looked back. Enjoy yours!

pregnantpause Wed 24-Apr-13 09:29:22

I don't know, I bought it in store so perhaps.

multitask Tue 23-Apr-13 19:50:33

pregnantpause that is tempting but I don't see it listed on my Lidl website was it only a store offer?

pregnantpause Tue 23-Apr-13 14:14:38

Although it's not the consensus, I have bought a rice cooker today as all stove top methods fail me . I blame stupid electric hobs. They are in lidls promotion this week for 12.99. Can't go wrong for that price!

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 13:53:34

This will make a big difference to my life!
Thanks ladies, no more scraping my hob top of cooked on rice water concrete!

brew and flowers all round smile

olgaga Tue 23-Apr-13 11:33:55

I love microwaved rice, it's so much nicer than in a saucepan.

This is what I have.

Really easy, just add the rice, any spices, add enough boiling water to cover rice, 3-4 minutes (900w), stir, another couple of minutes, stir, leave it for a bit while you do other stuff, drain, fluff it up and serve.

notjustamummythankyou Tue 23-Apr-13 11:27:28

Venus - yes, spot on. Any amount of rice, finger resting just on top of the surface, water up to first knuckle of forefinger. Dunno why it works, but it just does!

(Was wondering if I had just made this method up, but I've googled it and found other references to the 'knuckle' method too. Phew...my sanity remains intact.)

multitask Tue 23-Apr-13 11:26:38

When I use the microwave I use a normal pyrex dish, 2 cups rice 2 cups water 15 minutes on high, never had a fail smile

UnscentedStillRomantic Tue 23-Apr-13 11:24:22

Lolsmile The ratio seems to be 1 cup of rice to two of water.

Someone reviewing it explains it all quite well.

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 11:22:20

Xpost, thanks muchly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now