Talk

Advanced search

I need to make the best quiche ever

(11 Posts)
Fuckwittery Fri 19-Apr-13 11:28:30

I have taken over sahm duties having finished a ridiculous full time job, and need to convert dh to eating the food I like. We have just argued over the best way to use up left over veg - soup or quiche. I'm going with quiche. Dh says it is veggie muck and will never be as good as shop bought quiche!

So, I have ready made shortcrust pastry (I can make pastry but life is too short)
Bacon (can only go in half the quiche as I'm veggie)
Leeks
Mushrooms

Am thinking, garlic sauté the mushrooms, sweat the leeks with some butter, bacon bits in dh's half? Will this be the best quiche ever? I have no cream and only semi skimmed milk, and have just had a look on t'internet, lots of recipes suggest milk. What could I use instead to make creamy?

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 19-Apr-13 11:31:36

The problem with homemade quiche is, if it's not good, it's very bad. Can be wet, soggy and tasteless.

Your ingredients sound fine, I would put a heap (big heap) of cheese in though, because eggy-only quiches are the ones which come out tasting, well, of egg, and nothing else.

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 19-Apr-13 11:32:27

(if you do ever make your own quiche pastry, a handful of cheese in the pastry mix makes it crisper somehow)

Fuckwittery Fri 19-Apr-13 11:35:07

Thanks, yes I think that is what I am worried about re soggy quiche, when I did make my own pastry last it was great, but I need quick and easy and BEST EVER! I meant in my op that recipes online suggest cream not milk, I will mix egg with milk. Have Parmesan and strong cheddar to heap in.
Will bake blind as well to crisp pastry

Laquila Fri 19-Apr-13 11:36:58

I would add more egg yolks than you think you need to the egg mix (maybe 1 whole egg and 2 yolk, depending on size of quiche) and definitely bake the case blind beforehand.

In my experience of adding veg to quiche, they often a) don't need as much pre-cooking as you think and b) give out quite a bit of water.

I also second the comment about adding truckloads of cheese - can't go wrong! I like gruyere in a quiche.

TotemPole Fri 19-Apr-13 13:09:17

My aunt used to make a fantastic pepper quiche with cheesy pastry. The egg mixture had some bread crumbs or something to make it more solid. I think it was in an M&S cookery book.

HobKnob Fri 19-Apr-13 14:43:46

I make a wonderful quiche <preens>

This is because I make my own pastry with butter and lard, use double cream and masses of Gruyere cheese. It has about 1,000 calories a slice.

HobKnob Fri 19-Apr-13 14:44:20

PS agree with your DH that left over veg is better in soup, sorry!

Fuckwittery Fri 19-Apr-13 15:37:39

Quiche is in the oven, used 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks but there was a crack in the pastry and the pastry case was swimming in egg when I put it in the oven, going to be a soggy disaster isn't it! Dammit. Have some lovely rosemary lemony potatoes to go with it so hopefully the overall meal won't be a let down.

Fuckwittery Fri 19-Apr-13 15:38:42

I did make some nice jam tarts with the left over pastry though which have just been demolished by after schoolers

Fuckwittery Fri 19-Apr-13 17:52:48

Quiche update: it's not bad but dh accidentally ate most of the mushroom side and complained there was not enough bacon, and left me with none to eat!
The amazing thing is that dd2 who has to be cajoled into eating anything not familiar is woofing it back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now