Talk

Advanced search

Sourdough experts - this way please!

(6 Posts)
absolutmum Wed 17-Apr-13 18:09:40

After trying to make a starter numerous times, I think it has finally worked! I'm using Paul Hollywood's method, and it should be ready to make a loaf on Friday.
My question is about feeding the starter. Once I've removed half to make my loaf, how much should I be feeding the starter? Is it 100mls water and 100g flour, that's what I've given it today, after discarding half?

I can feel I am becoming very attached to my starter already grin!

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Thu 18-Apr-13 13:32:44

A lot of people think that you should feed the starter enough so that it doubles each time, but I don't feed mine that much and it's in great condition. I usually feed it enough so it grows by half again.

I find they're pretty indestructible!

If you need to get rid of some of the starter, may I suggest making sourdough pancakes? All you need to do is whisk in an egg, and sugar to taste. They have a very distinctive flavour but go down well in this house.

starfishmummy Thu 18-Apr-13 13:36:06

Oh that's useful to know.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Thu 18-Apr-13 13:38:29

Oh sorry I should've said you should add a little baking powder to the pancakes.

LeBFG Thu 18-Apr-13 14:43:08

I've just made my first sourdough with Paul Hollywood's method. Worked a treat. Let us know how yours gets on!

absolutmum Thu 18-Apr-13 19:04:19

thank you! Plan to make my 1st loaf on Saturday, I will report back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now