Talk

Advanced search

Sweet Potato Fries - Help!

(5 Posts)
CharlieUniformNovemberTango Mon 15-Apr-13 19:13:40

I tried them once and they were a soggy mess sad

But I'd love to do them for dinner tomorrow so how do you do yours?

I don't have a deep fat fryer so can I still get them crispy?

catballou Mon 15-Apr-13 19:16:49

I cut them all more or less the same size, roll them in olive oil and sprinkle a little sea salt on, then baked them in the oven. They are always yummy!

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 15-Apr-13 19:25:58

Don't use too much oil, they're much softer than potatoes so need to really crisp on the outside iyswim. Definitely agree with seasoning the outside too.

I tend to leave the skins on and just do them as wedges. Cajun or Harissa spices work really well on them too.

tigerlilygrr Tue 16-Apr-13 10:45:34

I do as randall suggests, but also I use a mesh to cook them on (like this but I got mine from a pound shop!) and I use frylight olive oil spray which is a bit healthier but gives good results.

ruthyroo Wed 17-Apr-13 06:35:50

I ate them a lot in NZ (with sour cream and sweet chill dips yum ) and they were never all that crispy! I don't think they are meant to be like potato chips. When I do them here, I use the minimum of oil and cook them at a high temp on a pizza tray rather than solid baking tray. They get a bit crispy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now