Talk

Advanced search

vol au vent fillings (easy please)

(10 Posts)
derektheladyhamster Mon 15-Apr-13 18:36:30

I'm catering for my 40th birthday party, and thought these might be an easy alternative to loads of sandwiches.

But I've no idea what type of fillings I should put in. (or how to make the fillings)

I'm cheating and buying frozen cases

LimeFlower Mon 15-Apr-13 21:36:43

egg/mayo/chives
cream cheese/smoked salmon/chives
beef/horseradish sauce
beef/mustard
spicy chicken
prawn/mayo
smoked mackerel pate

Definitely get some chives and dill/parsley to garnish.Cracked black pepper and smoked paprika also look nice.

sashh Tue 16-Apr-13 05:38:25

Buy a tin of creamed mushroom - just put it in the cases (well obviously the take the mushrooms out of the tin)

Gets some crem fresh, divide into 4 dishes and

add snipped chives to one
frozen deforested prawns to the second
cooked panchetta to the third
finely chopped spring onions and a bit of grated cheese

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 16-Apr-13 08:51:28

Second Sashh's idea if you are going to bake them shortly and serve hot/warm.

I usually make white sauce and add trimmings but the creme mushroom is a great easy idea.

Remember not to fill them up to much and only fill them up at the ast minute before putting in the oven for 10mn. Otherwise it all goes soggy at the bottom.

derektheladyhamster Tue 16-Apr-13 11:04:31

Thanks! I was thinking of preparing them earlier in the day and having them cold. Or is that a bit yuck?

It's been a long time since I've had vol au vents grin

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 16-Apr-13 11:12:05

Hen better use them with cold fillings prepared in advance and to be spooned in at the last minute.
Really, i can tell from experience.

You COULD make the hot suggestions in advance by making the white sauce super thick but then again it would all be podgy and rubbery a few ours later wouldn't it?
Anyone with a super trick?

Just thinking out of the box, could they be baked with a creamy egg mixture + lots of diffrent trimmings like a quiche?
That would keep well for a day no?
Anybody ever tried?

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 16-Apr-13 11:15:09

"Then", not "Hen" and certainly not "Hon"!

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 16-Apr-13 11:16:43

I give up! sorry for the terrible spelling.

derektheladyhamster Tue 16-Apr-13 11:17:51

I'm liking the mini quiche idea! I might have to have a few trial runs. My party is in a local hall (actually not that local!) So I could transport the cooked cases and fill at the venue.

freddiemisagreatshag Tue 16-Apr-13 11:19:48

Campbells condensed soup and chicken was one my mum used to make back in the day.

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now